News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Dynamoterror Exhibit Coming

Started by suspsy, August 07, 2021, 12:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

The Western Science Center in Hemet, CA, has a new exhibit opening on August 21 that will feature what appear to be new fossils of Dynamoterror. I was previously under the impression that only small bits and pieces of bone had been discovered. Interesting!

https://www.facebook.com/279082536129/posts/10159639359936130/?d=n
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

austrosaurus

According to Alton Dooley & Brian Engh on Twitter, a publication describing the new elements is being worked on. While new dinosaur fossils are always good news, I'm a bit disappointed that the new material means that I have to acknowledge the existence of Dynamoterror rather than lumping it into Teratophoneus like I have been.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I agree with that. I'm eased they have some more remains of this animal, but I wish to forget that awful name.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

"Dynamoterror" is cheesy to be sure, but I can think of worse names that have been bestowed on dinosaurs. "Drinker" immediately springs to mind. Thankfully, it's since been determined to be the same animal as Nanosaurus.

Incidentally, a 2020 study declared Dynamoterror a nomen dubium due to being undiagnostic. Not anymore, apparently. Be nice to read that upcoming one.

CityRaptor

Well, let's face it, a lot Tyrannosaurs have names to run away from really fast...but Dynamoterror sounds more funny than frightening.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Faelrin

Well I guess I gotta look forward to this publication on these remains then. At least from the image avatar_suspsy @suspsy linked here, it looks like some more of the skull has since been discovered, which is a good start. I'm just wondering if/what else they have found as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on August 08, 2021, 09:52:55 PM
Well, let's face it, a lot Tyrannosaurs have names to run away from really fast...but Dynamoterror sounds more funny than frightening.

Yes, the individual who coined that name was clearly aiming for something intimidating, but it ends up sounding merely amusing instead. Perhaps that's why I don't detest the name.

Certainly wouldn't say no to someone making a toy of this genus, although I think there are other tyrannosaurids that deserve one more.

austrosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on August 08, 2021, 09:29:48 PM
"Dynamoterror" is cheesy to be sure, but I can think of worse names that have been bestowed on dinosaurs. "Drinker" immediately springs to mind. Thankfully, it's since been determined to be the same animal as Nanosaurus.

Incidentally, a 2020 study declared Dynamoterror a nomen dubium due to being undiagnostic. Not anymore, apparently. Be nice to read that upcoming one.

Drinker is up there, so too is naming Dracorex after freaking Harry Potter. And then there's the tangled web that is the Malkani nomina nuda.

Given that it seems like the original describers always knew about the extra Dynamoterror material, it's confusing to me why they wouldn't just describe it all together, rather than rushing out a new name based on what seems to be the least diagnostic part of the animal. The only theory I can think of is that they were worried about another group of scientists beating them to the punch (see also the drama around Galveosaurus).

suspsy

Quote from: austrosaurus on August 09, 2021, 02:49:03 AM
Quote from: suspsy on August 08, 2021, 09:29:48 PM

Drinker is up there, so too is naming Dracorex after freaking Harry Potter. And then there's the tangled web that is the Malkani nomina nuda.

Given that it seems like the original describers always knew about the extra Dynamoterror material, it's confusing to me why they wouldn't just describe it all together, rather than rushing out a new name based on what seems to be the least diagnostic part of the animal. The only theory I can think of is that they were worried about another group of scientists beating them to the punch (see also the drama around Galveosaurus).

Where did you get the impression that the original describers always knew about the extra material?

suspsy

The exhibit is open now. Can't seem to find a better image on social media than this one just yet, and naturally it will be necessary to read the upcoming publication, but that looks like more than enough fossil material to confirm Dynamoterror's legitimacy.

https://www.facebook.com/279082536129/posts/10159676226956130/?d=n