You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Wanted: An idiots guide to dinosaurs

Started by khallam, July 21, 2019, 08:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khallam

Hello,

I love dinosaurs but really struggle with learning about them - all the names, time periods etc....

I have loads of books and electronic reference materials but its all very scientific. Is there a really good jargon free beginners guide to all things dinosaur? Obviously there is WWD which is great but I feel this just cover the 'main stream' stuff - everyday I seem to see people talk about a dino that I've never heard of etc..

Thanks  :-[ ??? ???

Libraraptor

Mellow Stego

When I got back into Dinosaurs this was the first book I got.
Dinosaurs: A Visual Encyclopedia, 2nd Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/1465469486/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TcknDb9J9VG75

It's a decent beginning point before diving into more heavy hitting books.p
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Halichoeres

I agree with the Holtz encyclopedia. I also think that Dorling Kindersley's series, while imperfect, are pretty good for introducing some variety. The most recent edition (https://www.dk.com/us/book/9781465474766-smithsonian-the-dinosaur-book/) has some nice reconstructions and does a reasonable job with the Paleozoic Era (objectively the most interesting of the Eras).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.