You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A redescription of Lepidotes bernissartensis

Started by Logo7, August 08, 2019, 12:26:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new study redescribes the ray-finned fish genus Lepidotes bernissartensis from the Early Cretaceous of Bernissart, Belgium, finding that it actually belongs to the genus Scheenstia, providing the new combination Scheenstia bernissartensis. The study also finds that two additional species from the same site, L. brevifulcratus and L. arcuatus, belong to Scheenstia as well, with both species becoming synonyms of S. bernissartensis. The study also provided a cladistic revision of the genus, finding it to be a member of the family Lepidotidae, positioned in between Lepidotes and more derived members of the family. Here is an image of the fossils used in the redescription and a link to the paper describing the study.

Paper (abstract only): https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14772019.2019.1634649?journalCode=tjsp20

Halichoeres

Lepidotes is long overdue for revision; this seems like a good start.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.