You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A huge Devonian forest found in China, with a new genus of tree

Started by Halichoeres, August 09, 2019, 04:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

A mining operation has exposed a gigantic forest from the Fammenian stage of the Devonian, one of Earth's earliest forests, and one of the largest known from fossils. It has an area of 250,000m2, and consists mostly of a brand new species of tree (Guangedendron micrum), a lycopsid, and hence a relative of modern clubmosses and spikemosses, and extinct scale trees like Lepidodendron.

Here's a reconstruction of the tree:

And the paper (open access in Current Biology): https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(19)30780-8
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.