News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Meet Cryodrakon boreas!

Started by suspsy, September 10, 2019, 03:38:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brocc21

I Really like Azdarchids. They're just so weird and lanky. It would be a spectacle to see one in life. And this one got a cool name!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

ITdactyl

Mr. Raptorfood has finally been [formally] named. It's both funny and frustrating that something we've known about for a long time is only being described now.  Yeah, this pterosaur is apparently the fossil previously reported with bite marks and an embedded tooth from a small "raptor".

I wonder if this would turn up to be the same species as the "Denali pterosaur".

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/09/cryodrakon-new-frozen-dragon-pterosaur-found-hiding-in-plain-sight/

ZoPteryx

Really cool to see this specimen finally get named!  ^-^

Faelrin

Wow that's easily one of the coolest names for a pterosaur I've seen yet, and it happens to be from one of my favorite formations due to the assortment of creatures found there. The artwork is really nice too, with the aurora represented (which is not something I see too often in paleoart of creatures living far north).

Edit: Considering the age of it (the article said 76.5 million years ago), would that then make it contemporaneous with Centrosaurus, Corythosaurus, Gryposaurus, and Parasaruolophus, etc?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Funk

Anyone seen this press release artwork? I wonder what those who hate palaeoart that uses colour patterns of extant animals on extinct ones think of this, haha...

Ravonium

Quote from: Funk on September 12, 2019, 09:01:38 PM
Anyone seen this press release artwork? I wonder what those who hate palaeoart that uses colour patterns of extant animals on extinct ones think of this, haha...
*snip*

To look on the bright side of this; If any company makes a Cryodrakon figure, at least they'll likely avoid that colouration for copyright reasons!  ;D ;)

Funk

Haha, judging from a few Dinotoyblog reviews, some companies don't give a damn about copyright...

Ravonium

Quote from: Funk on September 12, 2019, 09:26:56 PM
Haha, judging from a few Dinotoyblog reviews, some companies don't give a damn about copyright...

While that is (unfortunately) true, surely there isn't a company whose design team is drunk enough to think stealing this colouration is a good idea?

stargatedalek

I don't think national flags are copyrighted. That would be hugely problematic if any country were to actually enforce that and try to leverage it for royalties.

Ravonium

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 12, 2019, 09:53:53 PM
I don't think national flags are copyrighted.

They aren't, but some of the patterning does seem to be distinct from the actual  flag, most noticeably the stripes - whether that would be enough to make the colouration eligible for copyright protection, I'm unsure  :-\

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.