News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Looking for a glossy dark black paint

Started by SenSx, March 02, 2023, 01:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Hello,

I don't know where to ask this question so I hope it's the good section.
I am looking for a deep dark gloss black paint that reflect the less possible light.
Some of my figures have had defect since I own them, and especially on the eyes, and I need to repaint their little black spot on it.
But all the black paint I found so far aren't black enough, and look more grey with direct sunlight on them, you could see the difference with the rest of the figure.
And they are not glossy.

I've heard of the Musou black paint, but I don't know if that's really darker than the other paints, it's expansive, and some people have repported not to see any difference with other paints, and think there might be false/bootlets on the market.
And Musou is not gloss :(

Thanks for help

Kapitaenosavrvs

Mosou Black/Black 3.0 / Vanta Black. All of these are really really dark black. But not in every Condition/Surface.

Most (cheaper) Blacks you will get your hands on, aren't deep Black Black black. Also, they will fade in Light. Quite fast. Thats why you should consider looking for Paint that is true to light and holds its pigments. But to help that and also get your Glossy finish, i would work with any black you like. 2 or 3 times a THIN layer (let is dry for each step) and in the End, put High Gloss Clear coat over it. For Eyes, i use High gloss Clear paint for brushes, sometimes just High Gloss Nailpolish or a Spaycan of matt Clear Coat for the Body.). But spayed is the best Option. These "UV resistant" Clearcodes help to have an awesome effect on eyes and also helf to remain the pigments in the Colour better.

So, High Gloss effect works best when sprayed, gut to use glossy Black in teh first place will not give you the best Option longterm. Just my Opinion. Sadly, i can't help you with Brands or something like this :D

really cheap Paint is not sunlight proof. Mostly. And a good Black can be quite expensive. And i do not think, that you need these special Blacks to get a good Black + Gloss.

Also: Everyone has a different approach on that. And different Experiences. But to get Golly Eyes: I would always go with Colour + Glossy Clear Coat.

SenSx

Ok thanks a lot Kapitaenosavrvs

The issue is, I want to fix alwready painted figures, and I alwready tried color + glossy clear coat and it did not work out well.
You can clearly see the difference between the glossy coat of the figure, and the one you apply on the black surface you added, at least that is what I experimented.
I found it was better to just apply black paint even if it's not glossy.

And removing a glossy coat that does not satisfy me might be hard.
I actually have to remove that on a figure I painted, and I don't know how to do without removing the paint around it, only the glossy coat I applied on a specific location on the figure :(

Well I might try the Mousou Black then, Vanta seems very hard to get, and did not find 3.0 paint.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.