You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A very strange fossil stingray from Italy

Started by Halichoeres, October 18, 2019, 05:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Meet Lessianibatis aenigmatica, a newly described stingray from the Eocene of Italy. Its vertebrae are fused all the way to the pelvic girdle, and it has a tiny goofy little tail.

Here's the fossil:

And a comparison drawing showing how weird its morphology is to other rays:

(g is Lessianibatis; h, i, and k are other fossil taxa; the rest are extant rays)

Open access in Nature Scientific Reports: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-50544-y
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Huh that is pretty weird. I wonder how it got around without much of a tail.

Edit: I've seen stingray's called sea pancakes before, and this one certainly lives up to that name from the looks of it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ravonium

Quote from: Faelrin on October 18, 2019, 06:02:58 PM
Huh that is pretty weird. I wonder how it got around without much of a tail.

Stingrays move using their pectoral fins, so I doubt its movement would have been particularly unique.

What I'm curious to know about are the evolutionary pressures that would've led to this shape to develop in the first place.

Halichoeres

The synarcuals (fused vertebrae) probably make it more rigid and stable during swimming. It's true that they don't use the tail much in swimming, but a rigid trunk could reduce pitch during undulating swimming.

As for the tail, I am really not sure. It could be as simple as energy savings. Or it could be as complicated as selection in the presence of a predator that hunts using electric current. A shorter tail reduces your dipole, so a shock has a smaller chance of stunning or killing you. (This is 100% wild speculation, of course.)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 19, 2019, 04:05:44 PM
The synarcuals (fused vertebrae) probably make it more rigid and stable during swimming. It's true that they don't use the tail much in swimming, but a rigid trunk could reduce pitch during undulating swimming.

As for the tail, I am really not sure. It could be as simple as energy savings. Or it could be as complicated as selection in the presence of a predator that hunts using electric current. A shorter tail reduces your dipole, so a shock has a smaller chance of stunning or killing you. (This is 100% wild speculation, of course.)
There is a pod of orca that hunt rays by grabbing their tails. Perhaps a predator was doing something similar.

Halichoeres

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 19, 2019, 04:37:39 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on October 19, 2019, 04:05:44 PM

There is a pod of orca that hunt rays by grabbing their tails. Perhaps a predator was doing something similar.

Absolutely a possibility! I'd love to know who was trying to eat these guys.

brontosauruschuck

Predators would assume they were a flying saucer that crashed into the sea and not mess with them for fear that little green men would come out.

Halichoeres

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on November 07, 2019, 11:02:25 AM
Predators would assume they were a flying saucer that crashed into the sea and not mess with them for fear that little green men would come out.

Solid strategy.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.