News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A "new" species of Allosaurus

Started by Halichoeres, January 25, 2020, 05:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funk

Good question, at least the lower margin of the upper jaw looks straight as in jimmadseni, but I'm sure they'll find some other way of naming a new species based on it...

Halichoeres

avatar_Funk @Funk I'll be damned, I actually didn't know there were separate Allosaurus models in the original miniseries and in the Big Al special. I must confess I have never seen either, just a couple of clips featuring the Ornithocheirus/Tropeognathus. I should rectify that.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Funk

The Big Al version does seem to have been modified from the original series version, so can't blame you, they look the same at a glance. It even seems the lower part of the head is identical (only the horns appear to have been place correctly in Big Al), whereas in jimmadseni the upper jaw should be straighter, as I've mentioned a few too many times now, hehe...

Here is a clip from the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0r5P-PzIPU
And from the Big Al special:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9IjL2RCFoI

stargatedalek

Despite using the title of "Big Al", the model from the special seems to be based directly on fragilis, and it looks pretty decent with that in mind.

Flaffy

Could Hasbro's JW allosaurus represent A. jimmadseni?

Funk

The lower margin of the upper jaw looks pretty level, so it certainly looks more jimmadseni.

Georassic

I took a close look at the Allosaurus figures in my collection, compared to the three allosaur species skulls shown here: https://d1bbnjcim4wtri.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/21181403/Three-species-of-Allosaurus-compared-credit-Mark-Loewen-scaled.jpg

My opinions of the respective figures' species:
Kaiyodo Dinoland 1:20 (2000s reissue): A. fragilis
Papo (like my avatar here): A fragilis
Safari 2007: A. fragilis
Carnegie 2007: A. jimmadsen
Bullyland: A. europeaus
Safari 2019: A. fragilis (Doug already told us)
And, as someone else already noted, Favorite Series 1: A. jimmadsen, and Favorite Series 2: A. fragilis.

Sim

avatar_Georassic @Georassic, you've got the two Favorite versions the wrong way round.  The series 1 is A. fragilis, the series 2 is A. jimmadseni.

Georassic

Quote from: Sim on February 20, 2020, 11:38:21 PM
avatar_Georassic @Georassic, you've got the two Favorite versions the wrong way round.  The series 1 is A. fragilis, the series 2 is A. jimmadseni.
Thanks for catching that!
But...that said, upon further review, I think my typo may still have been right. I was basing my opinions solely on the inside jawlines. And there's a discrepancy in the Series 2 Al (the orange one, to be clear). To my eye, it has slightly different upper jaw lines on the left and right sides of its head, toward the back of the jaw. The left side looks straighter than the right side, which shows more of that "fragilis" downward curve toward the back of the jaw.

If you compare the two Favorites facing the same direction, and take care to hold the heads at the same angle, I think the Series 1 has the straighter jaws of jimmadseni. Especially when you compare their right sides of their heads, the series 2 appears to have more of fragilis jawlines.

Then again, the Series 1 Al has a more robust snout than the Series 2, which is indicative of A. fragilis.  :-\

Sim

avatar_Georassic @Georassic, I'm pretty confident the series 1 is fragilis while the series 2 is jimmadseni.  Looking at the right side of the head of the series 1, it has the fragilis downward curve.  The downward curve isn't as strong in the series 2 which has straighter jaws.  I don't think a fragilis skull could fit in the head of the series 2, the downard curve looks greater in fragilis compared to both sides of the head of the series 2.

The postcranial proportions of the series 1 and 2 are also consistent with those of fragilis and jimmadseni respectively.  This can be seen by comparing them to Scott Hartman's comparison here, the Allosaurus sp. is jimmadseni: https://www.deviantart.com/scotthartman/art/Allosaur-comparison-173333349

And yes you're right that the series 1 has a more robust snout, which is a feature of A. fragilis.

Georassic

Quote from: Sim on February 21, 2020, 04:51:36 PM
avatar_Georassic @Georassic, I'm pretty confident the series 1 is fragilis while the series 2 is jimmadseni.  Looking at the right side of the head of the series 1, it has the fragilis downward curve.  The downward curve isn't as strong in the series 2 which has straighter jaws.  I don't think a fragilis skull could fit in the head of the series 2, the downard curve looks greater in fragilis compared to both sides of the head of the series 2.

The postcranial proportions of the series 1 and 2 are also consistent with those of fragilis and jimmadseni respectively.  This can be seen by comparing them to Scott Hartman's comparison here, the Allosaurus sp. is jimmadseni: https://www.deviantart.com/scotthartman/art/Allosaur-comparison-173333349

And yes you're right that the series 1 has a more robust snout, which is a feature of A. fragilis.
Well-put, avatar_Sim @Sim. I defer to your more nuanced analysis. I am happy to learn something new virtually every time I engage on the forum. ;D

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.