You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thanatotheristes, a new North American tyrannosaurine!

Started by suspsy, January 23, 2020, 04:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

It would be interesting if Collecta, Eofauna, PNSO, Rebor or another brand made a thanatotheristes is a new and newly discovered tyrannosauroid.

I would like a thanatotheristes in the collecting market in PVC format.

Blade-of-the-Moon

If it's that close to Daspletosaurus, I'd prefer a good model of that species first before we continue this "flavor of the month" trend.

suspsy

Quote from: austrosaurus on February 11, 2020, 12:28:37 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 25, 2020, 04:50:38 PM
Thankfully, it seems pretty likely that this and Dynamoterror will be synonymized at some point

I don't see any reason why Thanatotheristes would get synonymised with Dynamoterror, considering there's very little overlap of material, they fall relatively far away from each other in the phylogenetic analysis, and the chronological and geographical distance between them. Even if there were grounds for synonymisation, I don't know why that's something to be thankful for, or have any strong emotion either way. Plenty of species are named for less than stellar material (e.g. Bajadasaurus, 90% of titanosaurs); should we advocate for their removal from the scientific record because of their poor remains even though what is known is diagnostic? Plenty of species have kind of silly names (e.g. Bonatitan, Kaijutitan); should we advocate for the removal of these species from the scientific record as well for not conforming to traditional expectations and sensibilities?

Yeah, unless your name happens to be Gregory S. Paul, I don't think anybody's going to be synonymizing those three. Almost nothing is currently known about Dynamoterror's skull, but based on its phylogeny and geographic location, it was more closely related to Lythronax and Teratophoneus than Daspletosaurus and Thanatotheristes. Probably had a muzzle profile similar to them too.

And I'll take gladly names like Dynamoterror and Thanatotheristes over the likes of Gasosaurus and Qantassaurus.

Oh, and David Silva is aware of Thanatotheristes, so it's pretty likely to be included in the BotM tyrannosaur series.  :)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Brocc21

Quote from: suspsy on February 11, 2020, 04:11:46 PM

Yeah, unless your name happens to be Gregory S. Paul,

Sheesh, I'm on no means to give my say so to actually intelligent scientists but he makes some just..."interesting" choices for how he synonimizes some species.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

MLMjp

That´s a pretty cool restoration with those purple scar-like stripes on the lips

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.