You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thanatotheristes, a new North American tyrannosaurine!

Started by suspsy, January 23, 2020, 04:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Meet Thanatotheristes degrootorum, an earlier cousin of Daspletosaurus!

Sorry, this paper is a pay one, but it will probably get reported in the popular media soon! Or perhaps avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres is able to access it for us in the mean time?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667119303611
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

MLMjp

suspsy

Quote from: MLMjp on January 23, 2020, 06:40:07 PM
Nice!

What does its name mean?

ETYMOLOGY: From Thanatos, the Greek god of and embodiment of death, and theristes (Greek), one who reaps or harvests, a reaper. The specific name, degrootorum, is in honor of John and Sandra De Groot of Hays, Alberta, who discovered the holotype specimen and have been supportive of paleontological research in the area.[/b]

Needless to say, that is a really cool name. Thanatotheristes was found in the Foremost Formation in southern Alberta, which means that if it gets included in the BotM Tyrannosaur series (here's hoping!), the ceratopsian to pit it up against would be Xenoceratops.

E.D.G.E. (PainterRex)

Quote from: suspsy on January 23, 2020, 04:20:31 PM
Meet Thanatotheristes degrootorum, an earlier cousin of Daspletosaurus!

Sorry, this paper is a pay one, but it will probably get reported in the popular media soon! Or perhaps avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres is able to access it for us in the mean time?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667119303611

I could download it for free
Hello! We are the Expeditioner's Discovery Guild Enterprise (E.D.G.E.). Subscribe to us on YouTube to get interesting content about Earth's past, present, and future!

✅Email: [email protected]

✅Facebook: facebook.com/ExpeditionDG/

✅Discord: https://discord.gg/RDW4mAk

✅Twitter: twitter.com/EDGEinthewild

✅Instagram: @edgeonthetrail

Loon

Quote from: suspsy on January 24, 2020, 02:24:44 PM
ETYMOLOGY: From Thanatos, the Greek god of and embodiment of death, and theristes (Greek), one who reaps or harvests, a reaper. The specific name, degrootorum, is in honor of John and Sandra De Groot of Hays, Alberta, who discovered the holotype specimen and have been supportive of paleontological research in the area.

And here I was thinking this was some Marvel thing.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Another one?

Does anyone know whether this one has a decent amount of remains assigned to it?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 24, 2020, 08:24:55 PM
Another one?

Does anyone know whether this one has a decent amount of remains assigned to it?

Only a partial skull for the time being, but there's enough material, combined with the age of the strata, to identify it as a new species. It's more than what we have for Dynamoterror and Nanuqsaurus:

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1220482545038450688

CityRaptor

Quote from: Loon on January 24, 2020, 04:13:55 PM
Quote from: suspsy on January 24, 2020, 02:24:44 PM
ETYMOLOGY: From Thanatos, the Greek god of and embodiment of death, and theristes (Greek), one who reaps or harvests, a reaper. The specific name, degrootorum, is in honor of John and Sandra De Groot of Hays, Alberta, who discovered the holotype specimen and have been supportive of paleontological research in the area.

And here I was thinking this was some Marvel thing.

Nah, Thanos was already done:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7436.0
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

PrimevalRaptor

Interesting find and while I do like the ring of the name, I gotta wonder why we gotta give every tyrannosaur a name like "Super Death Killer Lizard", at this point it seems like a weird tradition lmao

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Here's one Daemonosaurus mortemii. Loosely translates to "Demon Lizard of Death", but it's Latin, so it sounds smarter. ;)

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 24, 2020, 11:25:55 PM
Just waiting for Killmaster and Murderking.

If you're going to name a tyrannosaurid after a Transformer, then it's got to be named Grimlockosaurus holtzi. ;D

Neosodon

Has to be the nerdiest sounding Tyrannosaur name. I can imagine someone saying "That's not a T. rex, that's a Thanatotheristes."

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

If you gave a maladjusted twelve year old a dictionary of Greek combining forms, this is the name you would get. Thankfully, it seems pretty likely that this and Dynamoterror will be synonymized at some point, but probably not before we get a bunch of toys of these fairly fragmentary animals.

I do have the pdf because my workplace subscribes to Cretaceous Research, so if anybody wants the description please feel free to pm me your email address. I wouldn't want to have sullied my hard drive for nothing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

It's like they're all trying to come up with an awsomebro name that will somehow top Tyrannosaurus rex. They always fail.

MLMjp

Quote from: Gwangi on January 25, 2020, 05:06:48 PM
It's like they're all trying to come up with an awsomebro name that will somehow top Tyrannosaurus rex. They always fail.
Now that you mention it, It does seem like it. But yeah, nothing sounds, or will sound better that Tyrannosaurus rex.

suspsy

Quote from: MLMjp on January 25, 2020, 05:24:10 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on January 25, 2020, 05:06:48 PM
Now that you mention it, It does seem like it. But yeah, nothing sounds, or will sound better that Tyrannosaurus rex.

It's like trying to come up with a new Star Wars villain with a scarier mask than Darth Vader's.

stargatedalek

I have to say, I mind Thanos and even Thanatotheristes a lot less than Dynamoterror! Thanos was at least a halfway clever name for an abelisaur given the forelimb stature, but Dynamoterror is pure flash, nothing of substance there at all.

And let's not pretend we don't get similarly obnoxious names with the conventional naming formulas, looking at you Saurophaganax.

The elephant in the room here is the reshaping of Tyrannosaurid phylogeny, not that it doesn't make complete sense. Everything was just way to linear before.

austrosaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 25, 2020, 04:50:38 PM
Thankfully, it seems pretty likely that this and Dynamoterror will be synonymized at some point

I don't see any reason why Thanatotheristes would get synonymised with Dynamoterror, considering there's very little overlap of material, they fall relatively far away from each other in the phylogenetic analysis, and the chronological and geographical distance between them. Even if there were grounds for synonymisation, I don't know why that's something to be thankful for, or have any strong emotion either way. Plenty of species are named for less than stellar material (e.g. Bajadasaurus, 90% of titanosaurs); should we advocate for their removal from the scientific record because of their poor remains even though what is known is diagnostic? Plenty of species have kind of silly names (e.g. Bonatitan, Kaijutitan); should we advocate for the removal of these species from the scientific record as well for not conforming to traditional expectations and sensibilities?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: