You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Anyone hear about a nearly 7 foot long Mosasaurus/Tylosaurus skull discovery?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, February 27, 2021, 04:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

Several weeks ago I was puttering around the internet when I came across a forum where they were discussing the possible discovery of a huge Mosasaurus or Tylosaurus skull.  Initial estimates were 7 feet long and other estimates were about 2 meters (which is about 6 1/2 feet).

I think it was supposedly discovered in Texas, but not sure.  I lost the link to the forum and can't find any other information about it.  So there may be nothing to it at all. 

Curiously, I posted this question on the Currie Museum blog under an article titled 'The Real Mosasaurus' and my post was deleted.  Now maybe it was just an accident but it pricked up my curiosity, ie maybe I was prematurely letting the cat out of the bag about some major discovery that hadn't been officially announced yet.

If true, this skull would be about 30% larger than the largest skulls yet discovered.

Wallnut

Prehistoric wildlife's tylosaurus reconstruction has a 2 meter skull I think and I it is nearly 6 years old.

andrewsaurus rex

hm.....not sure what skull that would be based on.  The largest Tylosaurus skull I know of is about 1.7m and that is an estimate.

stargatedalek

Prehistoric Wildlife is, uh, not the greatest resource. Their size diagrams in particular only tend to be scaled based on overall lengths and use inaccurate reconstructions for the silhouettes. Don't take the proportions of them seriously.

Chasmosaurus

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 27, 2021, 07:06:26 PM
Prehistoric Wildlife is, uh, not the greatest resource. Their size diagrams in particular only tend to be scaled based on overall lengths and use inaccurate reconstructions for the silhouettes. Don't take the proportions of them seriously.

I'm sorry if I'm a little off topic. What site could be used instead,
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

andrewsaurus rex

I don't know if any sites are reliable.   When trying to figure out the size/estimated size of anything extinct I usually check out several sources and decide which I believe....taking into account the fact sizes quoted are usually exaggerated, since bigger is more interesting and exciting.

A better method is to find the reliable size of a skull or femur, tibia or some other large bone and a good quality skeletal drawing and scale out the overall length yourself.  It takes a few minutes but by doing that I've discovered just how many quoted animal sizes  are exaggerated.

Mosasaurs are particularly tricky.  For decades, the accepted ratio of skull length to overall length was 10:1.  But since the discovery of a nearly complete Prognathodon skeleton several years ago, the ratio of skull length to overall length has been reduced to 7:1 for Mosasaurs, by many scientists anyway. 

The largest Mosasaurus skull that's been discovered is around 5 foot 3 inches iirc.  So its total length has been quoted as 50 feet plus for a long time.  But it's more likely the total length should be around 37 feet or so.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.