News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurus custom model with new tail

Started by Duna, February 11, 2021, 05:56:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

Some weeks ago I bought a "female" Spinosaurus 3D model archive for 2,40€ here. Not tail updated, but I decided to give it a try, because of the nice price. I printed it myself in white PLA at 75% of the archive's real size, because the original figure is about 40 cm. Mine is 31 cm long. I liked the 3D model because I wanted a bypedal spinosaurus but not a tripod, neither one walking on the nails or knuckles ...  ::)
The archive of the figure was given in split pieces, better to print, but worse to mount. I used children's white hobby clay to restore the seams, fattened the sail and sculpted a new very huge swimming tail. I wanted to give the impression that the spino was in shallow water walking on the mud and rised his head up to answer to a threat or challenge. First of all, I've never sculpted anything in my life :D and this is my second attempt at painting a figure (the first one was the pachyrhinosaurus). I used another figure to stamp some scaly pattern on the clay (yes, it's the negative mold, I know ... but I thought it wouldn't be too noticeable).

The huge new tail made of clay was very heavy, in contrast to the light body made of PLA. The spinosaurus was totally out of balance. So I made holes and filled the head and chest with two metal screws and sand, to give it more weight in the opposite part,  ;D and miraculously, I got it completely right. It's now so perfectly balanced, that it can stand in ONLY ONE FOOT, the left one.

There were a lot of issues with it, too. The teeth didn't print because they were too small and without support. If I had sculpted myself the head it would have been very easy to sculpt teeth, but I tried to make them in clay and glue them to the PLA and it was impossible. I finally got a solution, make the teeth with a hot glue gun, one by one on the jaws. So please forgive me, I know they are horrible and misplaced. It was a very hard work, I tried my best. I also made the claws that way.

I used a cheap set of acrylic paints and the only thing I was sure about is that I didn't want another "tiger", brown, striped or a crocodyle design or colour. I saw Mario Lanzas's drawing in Wikimedia Commons and I liked it very much. So I tried to base my paint on it but I made my own touches, I added black on the top of head and sail, because I think it would be nice for a water predator to be darker on the top. The bright red is a very nice choice, because in the dark it looks brown. Many Amazon tropical fishes have some red coloration (discus fish, arapaimas, oscars and cat fish) and I wanted that idea, too.

So this is how it came ... I can't believe I got the eye painted not too badly ...

While a company makes a nice bipedal spino ...

Stegotyranno420

Wow avatar_Duna @Duna that is very awesome. I love that spinosaurus. I also like how its elegant for being a female, as usually for large reptiles the females are elegant while the males are bulky.
SO basically you are saying this 40-inch figure costs $2.42. Is it like a file you have to print or they deliver it to you?
Another thing is that its so great to see you had taken a dip in the world of customs. Im glad that you did, you have lots of talent

Dusty Wren

Oh, wow, this turned out really well! You did a nice job on the tail, and I love the colors you chose for it. You're right, we've got too many brown spinos.

I kind of wish I had a 3D printer now, since I've also been wanting a bipedal spino, and I like the looks of this one.
Check out my customs thread!

Duna

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 11, 2021, 06:44:04 PM
Wow avatar_Duna @Duna that is very awesome. I love that spinosaurus. I also like how its elegant for being a female, as usually for large reptiles the females are elegant while the males are bulky.
SO basically you are saying this 40-inch figure costs $2.42. Is it like a file you have to print or they deliver it to you?
Another thing is that its so great to see you had taken a dip in the world of customs. Im glad that you did, you have lots of talent
Oh, thank you for your kind words. If only I had time to learn how to paint, I would love it.

Yes, the spino only costs that, is an archive you pay for and then you can download it. So then you can print it how many times as you wish. The full size figure is impressive. Then you can sum up the cost of the printing material and the paint but it's inexpensive. My set of paints only cost me 4,2€.

Stegotyranno420

Thanks avatar_Duna @Duna so what 3d printer will your recommend, and how much does it cost to print this one

Duna

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on February 11, 2021, 07:30:19 PM
Thanks avatar_Duna @Duna so what 3d printer will your recommend, and how much does it cost to print this one
I have calculated the cost of the material for the 40 cm figure at about near 5€, with a 10% filling.
The first printer we had was an Ender 3 Pro. Recently we have bought an Artillery Genius. We use the program Cura for printing.

mgaguilar

Holy CRAP avatar_Duna @Duna, this is gorgeous! Great work!

The paint scheme is particularly striking! I really wish more companies went all-out when it comes to coloration like this.

Shonisaurus

avatar_Duna @Duna Great job. My congratulations. I would like them to make in PVC a spinosaurus like the one you show in your craft.