News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Lost Time" Graphic Novel by Tasha Mukanik

Started by ITdactyl, September 11, 2020, 08:44:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

A lot of graphic novels/comis tackling dinosaurs/prehistoric animals as a subject matter tend to skew towards the awesomebro.  Even my favorite, Ricardo Delgado started his "Age of Reptiles" in this manner. There have been a lot of attempts to insert modern paleoart into this medium of story-telling, to varying degrees of success.

Enter artist Tasha Mukanik and her young adult graphic novel "Lost Time". Set to be published in 2023(?), the book will apparently follow this story:
QuoteIt follows 12-year-old Evie, now stranded in time, surviving on her own in the wilds of the Cretaceous. After raising Ada from a egg, the two explore the world together, all in attempts for Evie to get back to humanity again.

I'm only sharing the planned cover art here, but do follow the link below to Tasha's page to see more sample pages and additional artwork for the book

http://tashamukanik.com/wp/index.php/2019/01/17/lost-time/

Dinoxels

My goodness, just scrolled through the art on the page and this already looks promising. A lot of the designs are very unique and very accurate.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

BlueKrono

Looks cool! Does it specify which species of sauropod those are?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ITdactyl

avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono , the author/artist chose Late Cretaceous North America as the setting but didn't label the sauropod in any of the pertinent artwork on her page.

I'm guessing Alamosaurus.

CityRaptor

Checking the page, there is indeed a picture of the Sauropod labeled Alamo. 

These critters are looking good, although something about that human design looks familiar.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

HD-man

EDIT: Just found the answer to my original question, but now I have a new question; Why is there a Therizinosaurus in North America?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

ITdactyl

The scale chart in her page seems to indicate she's repurposing her "Therizinosaurus" art for Nothronychus - though I'm just guessing.

HD-man

Quote from: ITdactyl on September 12, 2020, 05:26:57 AMThe scale chart in her page seems to indicate she's repurposing her "Therizinosaurus" art for Nothronychus - though I'm just guessing.

If that IS the case, then there's the problem of Nothronychus living at the wrong time. However, I'm pretty sure that's the unnamed ornithomimid (which is also pictured w/Pachycephalosaurus) in the scale chart.
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

ITdactyl

You're right. I mistook the male ornithomimus in the scale chart for the "therizinosaurus".

Kapitaenosavrvs

Love the Artwork. I am not into Graphic Novels that much, because they are quite expensive. But i like them a lot. I really love these Designs. They have this Comic Character but are natural at the same Time. This would be something i would buy. Looking at the Artworks gives me a good feeling. I really dont know why. I guess, because the Animals look like Animals. And also big, deadly Animals can be caring or sweet or beautiful. The Artist captures feelings in his works. The Atmosphere is awesome (without bro. :D).

The Pic that got me, was the Quetz flying over the seas with the Mosasaur beneath and the fluffy Tyrannosaur with his Head on the floor during the Night. Love it.