You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Comparison of Safari Ltd. and CollectA horseshoe crabs

Started by bmathison1972, September 27, 2020, 09:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmathison1972

Comparison of the Atlantic horseshoe crab, Limulus polyphemus by Safari Ltd. (2008) and CollectA (2020)

Loon

At first glance, I thought they were the same mold. But, they're definitely different. Also, I just got the CollectA figure in yesterday and it's amazing, if not a little gigantic.

bmathison1972

Quote from: Loon on September 27, 2020, 09:36:42 PM
At first glance, I thought they were the same mold. But, they're definitely different. Also, I just got the CollectA figure in yesterday and it's amazing, if not a little gigantic.

They are more similar than I thought they would be (but then again, the animal has a fairly straightforward morphology that doesn't allow for much variation). As much as I love to support Safari, if someone was to buy this species for the first time, I would have to recommend CollectA!

Faelrin

Thanks for the comparison. I was wondering how these two would size up and look alongside each other.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

triceratops83

In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Shonisaurus

Collecta has made quite an outstanding set of invertebrates. Honestly I have to buy the horseshoe crabs from Collecta and Safari both are very realistic. Thanks for the comparative photos.

Ostafrikasaurus

Personally, I like the "sandy" coloring of the CollectA model, but both are actually very well done.  :)
"Live fast, eat grass, die in a blast." - Late Cretaceous herbivore

Gwangi

Thanks for the comparison. I prefer the colors if the CollectA model but I feel like the sculpting on the underside of the Safari is better.

Flaffy

CollectA definitely has the upper hand on the paint department. I prefer the sculpting on the upper-side of CollectA's model over Safari's as well.
But whilst Safari's underside sculpt-work is undoubtedly more attractive, the gap near the front of the carapace is unsightly. The definition of the mouthparts on the Safari is rather muddled as well.

Overall I like CollectA's version better.

bmathison1972

Yeah, generally the CollectA figure is better dorsally (which is how most people will display it), but the Safari figure might have better sculpt of the appendages and gills. The Safari figure is still pretty great considering it's also 12 years younger!

Shonisaurus

Honestly, I see the horseshoe crab from Safari better than the one from Collecta in terms of internal organs, (appendages and gills), in relation to the outside of the horseshoe crab they are equal in quality, but obviously the Safari superior as the appendages are better finished, the legs of the Safari horseshoe crab are more finished than its Safari counterpart, its legs are more realistic and more stylized.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.