News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Recommend Elasmosaurs to me!

Started by Sarapaurolophus, November 15, 2020, 10:53:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarapaurolophus

I recently decided to branch out into flying and marine reptiles. Originally I wanted my collection to be dinosaurs-only, but Elasmosaurus is one of my childhood favorites and ever since my Invicta tragically got trashed I felt the need to replace it.

So please share with me your favorite Elasmosaurus model or models you consider great representations of the animal. I can't spend too much on one single fig, so it would be nice if you kept your recs to toys and mass-produced figures and not resin kits or limited editions :) Thanks in advance!

CityRaptor

Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 7. There are two color versions of that one.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Lanthanotus

I have the Kaiyodo Dinotales and I like it much, but those are very small. If you look for something more substantial and as you are expereinced with repaints or touch ups, I`d recommend the Safari 302429 and touching up the head, or more precisely the teeth as they are mostly sloppily painted.

Sarapaurolophus

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus Am I a bad person for saying I enjoy the (outdated) Carnegie version more than this one? Sure, the Carnegie's head and neck are basically a snake but it has a really appealing color scheme and is bigger :-\

Lanthanotus

Hehe, whatever suits you, it`s toys after all. I myself have that old Carnegie and in anyway
like the Invicta one best, (though I think that`s not exactly intended to be an Elasmosaurus).
By the way.... a great source to have a look at a great variety of figres of a certain species is
toyanimal.info if you do not know that site yet.

Sarapaurolophus

avatar_Lanthanotus @Lanthanotus Thanks! I was using Dinotoycollector to see them side by side but some images were missing. So far I am really drawn to the Kaiyodo dark blue one as well as the Carnegie. I think the Invicta was just a random plesiosaur but to child-me it was an Elasmosaurus. I had the unpainted version.
If only I could have a Frankensaur combined of the Kaiyodo's pose, Carnegie's colors and new Safari's sculpt ::)

Lanthanotus

Well, make it yourself..... buy the Safari, cut its limbs off and reattach them with Fixit or Green Stuff or so something similar and then repaint it. Part one and three of this should be an easy task as far as I can tell from your other posts.... resculpting can be tricky on on larger parts or figures with intricate sculpting details as Papo or PNSO or so, but it`s mainly just a matter of know how and patience and it should not be too hard on the Safari Elasmosaurus seeing its skin texture (but you can always make a stamp with Sculpey to help with that).

Roselaar

Gotta admit, I love Elasmosaurus, but there's not a whole lot of models available on the market that do it justice. Other than the aforementioned Carnegie, Safari and Kaiyodo models, none really spring to mind...

DinoToyForum

I generated a list here, any of these take your fancy? https://plesiosauria.com/pop-culture/toys/
I need to update the page, actually.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Lanthanotus on November 15, 2020, 12:46:38 PM
Well, make it yourself

That's always an option ;) I'm just really bad at following through with my projects, I have three figures that are already in the pipeline and should get finished before I take on a new one.

Quote from: Roselaar on November 15, 2020, 01:26:36 PM
Gotta admit, I love Elasmosaurus, but there's not a whole lot of models available on the market that do it justice.

I was hoping there would be some hidden gem I wasn't aware of.

Quote from: dinotoyforum on November 15, 2020, 04:08:07 PM
I generated a list here, any of these take your fancy? https://plesiosauria.com/pop-culture/toys/

Thanks! Seeing more models next to eachother I think I will go for the Kaiyodo first and wait until anything new is on the horizon.

Wallnut

Bullyland for more accuracy if you want a dark one schleich elasmosaurus is a good plesiosaurus but not a elasmosaurus.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Triton TR on December 01, 2020, 10:19:46 AM
Bullyland for more accuracy if you want a dark one schleich elasmosaurus is a good plesiosaurus but not a elasmosaurus.

The Schleich Elasmosaurus suffers from the old 'eyes in the wrong sockets' problem.

Roselaar

New Collecta Elasmo coming, maybe that's the best yet?

GojiraGuy1954

The CollectA one that's being released next year
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

If you don't care about size, it's got to be the Kaiyodo versions. Otherwise, the Safari version really is the best thing going. The CollectA one looks pretty good, but I think it's worse in the anatomy department and will also be smaller.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Kind of a wild card here, but I find the SEGA Futabasaurus to be the most beautiful plesiosaur figure ever made. I love that sun-dappled turquoise. 
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.