You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Can the PNSO Mamenchisaurus work as a Barosaurus?

Started by Gothmog the Baryonyx, April 02, 2021, 01:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Basically the title. You see I was planning on keeping the PNSO when the new beauty from CollectA arrives at Everything Dinosaur as I can have them as different species, what with their being 6 species of Mamenchisaurus and all, but the more I look at in hand Mamenchisaurus particularly in Loon's thread, and then look back at my PNSO Mamenchisaurus, the more I think they won't look right together. At first my desire to a) have multiple large Mamenchisaurus for the different species coupled with the fact that the PNSO Mamenchisaurus looks nice next to the PNSO Yangchuanosaurus, but I'm sorry the PNSO just doesn't look enough like an actual Mamenchisaurus to not look too weird next to the upcoming CollectA figure. So my last chance to keep this figure (though if I don't keep it, I may get the mini to put on my small scale figure shelf instead)) is to use it as a Barosaurus or similar Diplodocid as no one seems to make a Barosaurus and I don't expect anyone too any time soon.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Leyster

No, it would not be good as Barosaurus, since the latter belongs to an entirely different branch of sauropods and was wery different in both proportions and anatomy

(skeletal by fadeno)

Still I do not understand why you say that it doesn not "look enough like an actual Mamenchisaurus" compared to the Collecta, it's actually a damn good "Mamenchisaurus" (keeping in mind that probably the only valid species is M.constructus and what we usually think of as "Mamenchisaurus" is distinct enough to be placed in another genus), on par or even better than the Collecta. The skull shape, keeping in mind soft tissues, closely matches what is known of the various species of "Mamenchisaurus".
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Halichoeres

I also think the odds of a Barosaurus figure one day are not too bad, although if I'm not mistaken the skull is not known and would have to be inferred from other diplodocids.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Given that Ruben-Perez and Larramendi determined that Barosaurus was the longest of all dinosaurs, I would hope that companies start paying more attention to it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

andrewsaurus rex

what length did they ascribe to Barosaurus?  I was under the impression that Argentinosaurus was still considered to be the longest.

Indeed the lack of Barosaurus figure(s) is very puzzling.  Especially considering some very dramatic artwork that is around.

Leyster

Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 02, 2021, 05:40:54 PM
what length did they ascribe to Barosaurus?  I was under the impression that Argentinosaurus was still considered to be the longest.

45 meters.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Justin_

Does anyone have this DK book from the early 90s that was just about Barosaurus?

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Barosaurus.html?id=d0ozNAAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

I remember the illustrations were mainly, if not all, photos of models and I'm wondering how they stand up to the latest interpretations.

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: Leyster on April 02, 2021, 06:57:57 PM
Quote from: andrewsaurus on April 02, 2021, 05:40:54 PM

45 meters.

closing in on 150 feet.  I was doing some reading and Argentinosaurus may not even be considered the heaviest any longer, as there was a list of other genera that may be heavier.  Some of the estimates are approaching the blue whale's weight...astonishing.  Sauropods just continue to amaze..

Newt

Keep in mind that most of these gigapods are known from very scant remains. Anyhow, as said before, "Mamenchisaurus" is such a varied wastebasket genus I think you are perfectly justified in keeping both models as they are probably based on what will one day be considered different genera. Unless that is you just don't like the PNSO one, in which case, mail it to me.  O:-)

On another note, it really is surprising to me that there are no good Barosaurus toys. It was one of the standard dinosaurs in most of my childhood books, and while most of the dinos featured so prominently in those books are abundantly represented in toy form, a few have been overlooked. Besides Barosaurus, Anchisaurus, Centrosaurus/Monoclonius, Ornitholestes, and Camptosaurus would also fall into that category.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thanks for the responses, it has been a nice read. I think I will keep it. But it may spend a vacation back in its box. It depends on how I rearrange stuff next.
I like the figure, and I will just have to keep fingers crossed for a Barosaurus figure in future. Maybe Eofauna. That would be amazing I think
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Justin_

I think only Eofauna or PNSO could make a Barosaurus figure as magnificent as the MO Models resin one.

Possibly Safari. CollectA's recent sauropods are good anatomically but I find the skin texture they use on all of them makes them look a bit modular.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Justin_ on April 02, 2021, 07:38:03 PM
Does anyone have this DK book from the early 90s that was just about Barosaurus?

https://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Barosaurus.html?id=d0ozNAAACAAJ&source=kp_cover&redir_esc=y

I remember the illustrations were mainly, if not all, photos of models and I'm wondering how they stand up to the latest interpretations.

I think Happy Kin's Barosaurus may have been inspired by the models in this book:

DK might have given their Barosaurus models a bit too much flexibility in the neck. Probably too many claws and so forth, too.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Justin_

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 12, 2021, 06:53:17 PM
DK might have given their Barosaurus models a bit too much flexibility in the neck. 

I wondered if it was just one model made of a flexible material. I've a feeling the legs are always in the same position and just the neck is moved but I haven't actually seen the book for nearly 30 years!

Going back to the original post, I think the PNSO Mamenchisaurus could almost work as a Barosaurus if the neck was very slightly shortened and the head remodelled, but I think it is too nice a figure to be messed with.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Justin_ on April 13, 2021, 11:07:36 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on April 12, 2021, 06:53:17 PM
DK might have given their Barosaurus models a bit too much flexibility in the neck. 

I wondered if it was just one model made of a flexible material. I've a feeling the legs are always in the same position and just the neck is moved but I haven't actually seen the book for nearly 30 years!

That could be. Same here, I remember it only dimly. It appears on eBay often and inexpensively, though...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.