You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Looking for British Museum of Natural History Invicta Dinosaurs

Started by CJPHZD, March 06, 2021, 05:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CJPHZD

I've been working on my British Museum of Natural History Invicta monochrome invicta set. I was wondering if anyone had an Apatosaurus, Pteranodon, Blue Whale, Dimetrodon, Stenonychosaurus, or Lambeosaurus for sale or trade?

Also does anyone know why some models such as Tyrannosaurus, triceratops, and megalosaurus do not have invicta plastics printed on the bottom? Does that make them older than the ones with invicta printed on bottom?

Thanks!

Duna

Hello and welcome!  :)
Triceratops, tyrannosaurus and megalosaurus do have the "Invicta plastics" letters printed on the bottom, but maybe in your figures is quite erased.

In eBay the Pteranodon is easy to find and cheap. Apatosaurus appears quite often, too. There are now some blue whales on sale, too.

There is a seller that has a box full of Dimetrodons and now you won't find it anywhere more. He has sold a lot of figures. I bought mine from him and perfect.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/British-Natural-History-Museum-Invicta-Plastics-Dinosaur-Dimetrodon/223504066443

Good luck!

Libraraptor

Nice to see another Invicta lover around.  Have not heard of non printed versions.  Good luck hunting them and welcome to the forum,  should you plan to stay.

CJPHZD

I have several that are in great condition and bone of them have invicta plastics. I was speculating that it could be because they were some of the older models but that's all I could thinknof.

Dinoguy2

I can't find the site I read this on, but I'm pretty sure there was some difference in the info stamps between older and newer Invictas. I believe 1970s figures had one stamp style, and 1980s-90s figures had a different style. The style was changed even on pre-existing figures (for example, you can tell an older T. rex from a newer production run based on this). I can't remember the specifics other than I believe there was a difference in the number of lines of text. Removing or adding "Invicta Plastics" from the mold would seem to account for the line difference.

Edit: Just found it mentioned in Joe Demarco's book. According to him, only models manufactured between 1986-1993 have "Invicta Plastics Ltd. Leceister England" or some variant (e.g. "Invicta England", or "Invicta Plastics Leceister England" without the "Ltd.") printed on the bottom. So any figures made from 1973-1985 should lack that text.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Duna

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 14, 2021, 11:39:10 AM
I can't find the site I read this on, but I'm pretty sure there was some difference in the info stamps between older and newer Invictas. I believe 1970s figures had one stamp style, and 1980s-90s figures had a different style. The style was changed even on pre-existing figures (for example, you can tell an older T. rex from a newer production run based on this). I can't remember the specifics other than I believe there was a difference in the number of lines of text. Removing or adding "Invicta Plastics" from the mold would seem to account for the line difference.

Edit: Just found it mentioned in Joe Demarco's book. According to him, only models manufactured between 1986-1993 have "Invicta Plastics Ltd. Leceister England" or some variant (e.g. "Invicta England", or "Invicta Plastics Leceister England" without the "Ltd.") printed on the bottom. So any figures made from 1973-1985 should lack that text.
Interesting ... But when you say "figures made from 1986-1993", do you mean the newer models from that date on or all the new figures including releases of the first models?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Duna on March 14, 2021, 09:40:41 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 14, 2021, 11:39:10 AM

Interesting ... But when you say "figures made from 1986-1993", do you mean the newer models from that date on or all the new figures including releases of the first models?

All figures manufactured between those dates, including the molds from the 70s and early 80s. So for example a Megalosaurus made in 1985 will not have "Invicta Plastics" on the bottom but a Meglosaurus made in 1986 will have it.

By the way, I'd love for anybody who owns a painted Invicta or even a paint-your-own model to see if they still use the 1986 era inscriptions or if the molds were updated again when they switched to softer plastic.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 15, 2021, 11:39:35 AM

By the way, I'd love for anybody who owns a painted Invicta or even a paint-your-own model to see if they still use the 1986 era inscriptions or if the molds were updated again when they switched to softer plastic.

I have the painted Cetiosaurus and it says:
"CETIOSAURUS
14 METRES LONG
©BRITISH MUSEUM
(NATURAL HISTORY) 1983
INVICTA LEICESTER ENGLAND"

n=1
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 15, 2021, 12:55:39 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on March 15, 2021, 11:39:35 AM

I have the painted Cetiosaurus and it says:
"CETIOSAURUS
14 METRES LONG
©BRITISH MUSEUM
(NATURAL HISTORY) 1983
INVICTA LEICESTER ENGLAND"

n=1

Thanks for checking!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.