You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

A new species of Cricosaurus described

Started by Logo7, April 14, 2019, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logo7

A new species in the metriorhyncid crocodylimorph genus Cricosaurus has been described from the Jurassic of Germany. It has been given the new species name C. brambergensis, with the new species name coming from the town of Bramberg in Bavaria where the fossils of this species were found in 2014. The new species is distinct from all other fossil crocodiles in that its palate has two depressions that are separated by a pronounced bar. It is unclear exactly what purpose these depressions serve, but it is believed that differences like these in C. brambergensis will help yield a greater understanding about the evolution and biology of the metriorhynchids. Here is an image of the fossil used to describe this new species along with a link to the paper describing it.

Paper (open access!): http://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app64/app005412018.pdf

Halichoeres

A pdf of the proofs seems to now be available at the link you posted. If anybody is unable to access it, you know what to do :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Logo7

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 15, 2019, 07:35:29 PM
A pdf of the proofs seems to now be available at the link you posted. If anybody is unable to access it, you know what to do :)
I didn't know that. Thanks for the information. I'll change the original post to reflect this.

Halichoeres

Yet another new species of Cricosaurus, if you can believe it: C. rauhuti, most of a skull and jaw preserved in three dimensions.

paywall, but I'm trying to get the pdf: https://doi.org/10.1080/14772019.2021.1883138
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.