News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Removing odor from figures?

Started by Eocarcharia, May 29, 2021, 03:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eocarcharia

I recently got a bunch of figures in the mail (several CollectA and one Sega) and unpacked them to find that they had a strong smell similar to mothballs, or possibly just the smell of plastic. The CollectA figures were all new and sealed in plastic bags. The Sega was loose, but they all smell the same.

Has anyone dealt with a problem like this before? What is the best solution?

ITdactyl

Here's a video guide I got as a reply when I asked this same question ages ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpZhUHLGbcg

I start off with warm water with a few drops of dish washing liquid. I prefer wiping the figures with towels instead of using old brushes. One pass with the warm soapy water, followed by a rinse.

I had to resort to a baking soda soak (container with water deep enough to cover the figure + 1 tablespoon of baking soda) because some of the toys I got smelled like skunk.

Also left the figures for a couple of hours by my window, just to get a blast of sunlight.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.