You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Anyone feel that the Safari Shringasaurus neck is too short?

Started by andrewsaurus rex, July 02, 2021, 05:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewsaurus rex

I've scaled it from the skeletal reconstruction and it needs to be about .3 of an inch longer......may not sound like much but the neck is just under an inch long, so that would be lengthening it by over 30%.

The skeletal reconstruction is a composite of several different animals, however, so I don't know how accurate to regard it.

Most restorations of Shringa show it with a pretty long neck and it is generally described in scientific papers as 'long necked'.

I'm prepared to lengthen the neck on the figure, though it will be a pain to do, but I just thought i'd get some thoughts from others about the neck length on the figure before proceeding.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: andrewsaurus on July 02, 2021, 05:16:09 PM
I've scaled it from the skeletal reconstruction and it needs to be about .3 of an inch longer......may not sound like much but the neck is just under an inch long, so that would be lengthening it by over 30%.

The skeletal reconstruction is a composite of several different animals, however, so I don't know how accurate to regard it.

Most restorations of Shringa show it with a pretty long neck and it is generally described in scientific papers as 'long necked'.

I'm prepared to lengthen the neck on the figure, though it will be a pain to do, but I just thought i'd get some thoughts from others about the neck length on the figure before proceeding.

In this case I'm not sure we know enough about the proportions to say what they should be with much confidence. As you note, all skeletals are chimeras and do the proportions are largely guesswork. I think this is a case where better specimens will eventually make all current restorations inaccurate.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Shane

Gonna echo the sentiment that it's probably too early to say with any certainty on the matter until we have more concrete material.

I remember when this figure was first revealed, a bunch of folks shouted "INACCURATE!" because a paleo-artist had done her own separate reconstruction that differed greatly from most previous reconstructions, especially in the neck area.

Not to say there's anything wrong with an alternate reconstruction, but I think there's a general inclination to jump on something that's the newest and latest without really acknowledging that, by and large, the jury is still out on a lot of this stuff and just because someone has proposed an alternate reconstruction, it doesn't mean it's right or wrong and there's no way to know with absolute certainty unless paleontologists find more bones that shine a light on it.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.