News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carcharodontosaurus figures

Started by The Zoo Boy, June 07, 2021, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Carcharodontosaurus do you guys like the most?

GR Toys Blue
18 (51.4%)
GR Toys Red
3 (8.6%)
PNSO
14 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Leyster

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on June 10, 2021, 02:48:21 PM
The PNSO Carcha has an overall better aesthetic imo.
Well, to each his own, but the PNSO one has a really questionable overbite...
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SRF

Quote from: Leyster on June 11, 2021, 08:57:54 AM
The PNSO Carcha has an overall better aesthetic imo.
Well, to each his own, but the PNSO one has a really questionable overbite...

But without that overbite, it could probably not close its mouth properly. But I agree that it looks much better with its mouth open.
But today, I'm just being father

GojiraGuy1954

If you don't mind how big it is get the Safari LTD one
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Skorpio V.

The Blue GR Toys one is a lot better as a standalone piece on a pristine shelf whereas PNSO's would blend in well in a naturalistic, more characteristically savannah-like diorama to where it lived. GR's scales better with the aforementioned figures whereas PNSO's skull is more accurate.

If I had to choose one, I'd go for GR Toys.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Leyster

Quote from: Skorpio V. on July 26, 2021, 08:35:50 PM
PNSO's skull is more accurate.

PNSO skull is not more accurate, is based on the old restoration by Sereno (the so called "Pinocchio Carcharodontosaurus")
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Quote from: Concavenator on June 07, 2021, 07:39:34 PM
Regarding the CollectA version, I used to have it, until I have only recently sold it. It's not that I dislike the model, I liked it (otherwise I wouldn't even have bought it, to begin with), but we are talking about a 2014 figure. Not saying dinosaur figures from 2014 were bad per se, I would say it's just that the quality has improved very drastically in the most recent years. Because of that it can't be compared with current versions. I think we need to keep things in their respective context.

The CollectA Carcharodontosaurus can be compared with newer versions in some situations.  You even did it in your post when you expressed how the CollectA figure is lower quality than the PNSO and GR Toys.  It's true that the CollectA Carcha doesn't reflect the current quality of CollectA, but it's also true it's very inferior to the PNSO and GR Toys Carchas.  Even by the standards of 2014 the CollectA Carcha had some major flaws such as the weird lumps above its arms, the elongated toe claws, standing on tiptoes, and the too wide hips.  It also did some things very well even for today's standards though, such as having a nice colour palette and very well done teeth.

Although if I'm being honest the best Carcha is easily Sean Cooper's resin kit but if I had to point to one of the two figures I'd say PNSO all the way.

I disagree regarding Sean Cooper's being the best Caarcha.  It follows the elongated skull reconstruction which has no reason to be correct.

Personally, I think the GR Toys orange Carcharodontosaurus is the best figure of this genus.  It's listed as red in the poll and I voted for it.  In my opinion it's got the most naturalistic colouration, the blue GR Toys's colouration looks too much and the PNSO has all that black around the mouth that looks dreadful and I seriously doubt Carcharodontosaurus looked like that in real life.  T @The Zoo Boy, have you chosen the Carcharodontosaurus figure for you?

The Zoo Boy

Quote from: Sim on July 28, 2021, 11:30:51 PMT @The Zoo Boy, have you chosen the Carcharodontosaurus figure for you?

Yes, I chose the PNSO, and I'm very happy with it. I wish it was a little bigger, but the sculpt and paint is phenomenal, as we've grown to expect from PNSO. I wouldn't be surprised if I got one of the GR Toys somewhere down the line though.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.