News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Carcharodontosaurus figures

Started by The Zoo Boy, June 07, 2021, 05:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Carcharodontosaurus do you guys like the most?

GR Toys Blue
18 (51.4%)
GR Toys Red
3 (8.6%)
PNSO
14 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 35

The Zoo Boy

I'm trying to decide which of the new Carcharodontosaurus to get, in scale with my PNSO Winter Wilson T-rex, Eofauna Giganotosaurus, and GR Toys Spinosaurus.

Duna

Very good question, I'm just thinking the same ...
Don't get the Collecta, I have it and I hate it. But my children love it.

The Zoo Boy

Quote from: Duna on June 07, 2021, 06:07:28 PM

Ha, I actually bought the Collecta a couple months back. Don't have buyer's remorse per se, as I don't hate it, but it definitely isn't up to the quality of these, so I want to upgrade for sure.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: The Zoo Boy on June 07, 2021, 06:12:18 PM

Ha, I actually bought the Collecta a couple months back. Don't have buyer's remorse per se, as I don't hate it, but it definitely isn't up to the quality of these, so I want to upgrade for sure.

Hi there😃 I have the PNSO and love it! It goes well with all the figures you mentioned, in fact if you check out my collection thread, I posted a photo of it with some of the figures you mentioned that will give you an idea.

I like the CollectA version, it was the best during its time especially the head sculpting, but it's showing it's age for sure.
Cheers, and nice to see you here😃

Concavenator

This is so hard of a question that I can't even vote  :P There's also the upcoming Dino Hazard* Carcharodontosaurus, in case you didn't know of it. I would say these 3 are all comparable to each other and are on the same league. They are very high quality and well researched models, so really you will be absolutely pleased with whichever version you end up getting.

*I believe Dino Hazard's version will be at 1:20 scale, so it's definitely on a larger scale than the other 2.

Regarding the CollectA version, I used to have it, until I have only recently sold it. It's not that I dislike the model, I liked it (otherwise I wouldn't even have bought it, to begin with), but we are talking about a 2014 figure. Not saying dinosaur figures from 2014 were bad per se, I would say it's just that the quality has improved very drastically in the most recent years. Because of that it can't be compared with current versions. I think we need to keep things in their respective context.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

If Dino Hazard say their Carcharodontosaurus is 1:20 scale, it is probably 1:15 scale, so bound to be huge.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

SRF

I voted for the PNSO Carchar, since that's the one I've bought myself.

From what I've seen it is on the smaller side though, especially if you want to display it next to the figures you've mentioned. On the other hand, I felt the GR Toys is probably a bit large to display it next to Wilson and the Eofauna Giganotosaurus.

I just wanted to have a Carcharodontosaurid since I haven't got any in my small collection right now. It doesn't need to dominate my shelf and the PNSO is quite a bit cheaper, so that's why I've chosen the one one from PNSO.
But today, I'm just being father

The Zoo Boy

Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 07, 2021, 06:51:50 PM
Quote from: The Zoo Boy on June 07, 2021, 06:12:18 PM

Hi there😃 I have the PNSO and love it! It goes well with all the figures you mentioned, in fact if you check out my collection thread, I posted a photo of it with some of the figures you mentioned that will give you an idea.

I like the CollectA version, it was the best during its time especially the head sculpting, but it's showing it's age for sure.
Cheers, and nice to see you here😃

Wow, thanks Boki. It looks great, might be a bit small, but I saw in a video that the GR Toys looks too big, so it seems that PNSO might be the better route. Will you be reviewing it for the blog?

Quote from: SRF on June 08, 2021, 10:57:30 AM

From what I've seen it is on the smaller side though, especially if you want to display it next to the figures you've mentioned. On the other hand, I felt the GR Toys is probably a bit large to display it next to Wilson and the Eofauna Giganotosaurus.

I just wanted to have a Carcharodontosaurid since I haven't got any in my small collection right now. It doesn't need to dominate my shelf and the PNSO is quite a bit cheaper, so that's why I've chosen the one one from PNSO.

Yep, the price (almost double) and size of the GR Toys is what has me leaning PNSO atm. I don't really want the Carcharodontosaurus of my collection to be bigger than the EoFauna Giga.

Shonisaurus

My favorite carcharodontosaurus is the blue carcharodontosaurus from GR Toys. It is for me the most exotic carcharodontosaurus of the three.

Gwangi

I have the PNSO Carcharodontosaurus on its way. It was an easy choice for me, the PNSO figure is about half the price of the GR toys! And it's also smaller, which saves much needed space. I like the overall form of the PNSO better, how the head and neck align, the overall shape of the skull, etc. Also that the mouth can actually close on the PNSO figure. I also like that the PNSO figure has smaller scales, which to me make it look more realistic. I do believe that there's such a thing as too much detail, these dinosaurs had scales but they would have been so small that they should appear virtually smooth at this size. For that reason, the PNSO looks more realistic and believable to me. The blue color variant for the GR toys figure is too much for me, and it honestly looks like the creature is suffering from some serious deep tissue bruising. The PNSO paintjob is kind of boring, but adequate.

The CollectA Carcharodontosaurus, oh boy. I was so excited about that toy when it came out. It's hard to believe it was only 7 years ago. At the time it was the best there was for the genus, the only real option for that matter. I gave it a glowing review on the DTB and now I'm probably going to pack it away or resell it, it hasn't aged well. It has been amazing watching how fast this hobby has evolved over the last decade. I also have the Safari one, and I still like it for what it is, much more than the CollectA one, but it will still likely get packed away in time.

John

There is no bad one among the three to choose from,but for me the GR Toys blue variant Carcharodontosaurus wins. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SidB

The big Vitae Giganotosaurus might be a better stable mate for the GR Carcharodontosaurus.

Duna

When I saw the GR toys giga, I decided I wanted it. Then the PNSO appeared, and changed my mind. But after the first video reviews, and with the inevitable comparison side by side, GR Toys wins for me.

The first reason for me it's the rod stand. PNSO now is equiping everything with rods and I'm quite fed up about this. Even such small figures as the pachycephalosaurus and qianzhousaurus have them. It looks like a wood of plastic sticks. I know that stability is an important matter, but this now it's too much for me.
About the sculpture, I like the GR toys head, and the PNSO legs and tinier scales. The painting in the PNSO says nothing special to me: another (again) tiger striped dinosaur almost identical (why?) to the Allosaurus in colors.
The GR toys paint is incredible well applied and original, too. A lot of work in there.
And another reason, it's bigger. It makes a better display piece on its own. And it stands on two feet.

The only flaw it's about the price. But it's only 10€ more than the PNSO Gamba in Aliexpress.

I still haven't buy any by now, but I'm more decided about the GR toys. More after each comparison video I see.

Shonisaurus

I fully agree with Duna I like the GR Toys carcharodontosaurus more for several reasons I think it has fewer stability problems and is better sculpted and painted than Gamba, the PNSO carcharodontosaurus on the other hand has two paint variants and that is appreciated you can choose Between the two varieties of paint, I personally like the red carcharodontosaurus GR Toys, although the blue is also extremely interesting.

GR Toys carcharodontosaurus are a bit more expensive, but sometimes there is a saying that "cheap is expensive" in this case being more expensive is of better quality and I suppose it will present less stability problems than its PNSO counterpart .

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on June 08, 2021, 05:31:33 PM

The big Vitae Giganotosaurus might be a better stable mate for the GR Carcharodontosaurus.
I don't know, the Vitae one looks really big even considering the GR the smaller holotype. I still haven't received my Carcharodontosaurus, or I would've provided a better reference. Source is Baidu.
http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/a545a50a304e251fbcffb349b086c9177e3e53ec.jpg
(link because I don't know why Baidu images do not display)
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SRF

Quote from: Leyster on June 09, 2021, 03:38:46 PM
Quote from: SidB on June 08, 2021, 05:31:33 PM

I don't know, the Vitae one looks really big even considering the GR the smaller holotype. I still haven't received my Carcharodontosaurus, or I'll provide a better reference. Source is Baidu.
http://tiebapic.baidu.com/forum/pic/item/a545a50a304e251fbcffb349b086c9177e3e53ec.jpg
(link because I don't know why Baidu images do not display)

That's almost like a mother and child.
But today, I'm just being father

SidB

avatar_SRF @SRF , agreed, the Vitae may be closer to 1/28-1/30. Big bruiser.

Leyster

Quote from: SidB on June 09, 2021, 08:34:31 PM
It's 1:26 for MUCPv-Ch1 (the holotype), while MUCPv-95 is basically impossible to scale.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

SidB

Quote from: Leyster on June 10, 2021, 08:08:58 AM
Quote from: SidB on June 09, 2021, 08:34:31 PM
It's 1:26 for MUCPv-Ch1 (the holotype), while MUCPv-95 is basically impossible to scale.
Thanks for that info, L @Leyster !

Syndicate Bias

The PNSO Carcha has an overall better aesthetic imo. The GR Toys one has some questionable paint app in its mouth and lower jaw plus the body isn't as meaty as PNSO's.

Although if I'm being honest the best Carcha is easily Sean Cooper's resin kit but if I had to point to one of the two figures I'd say PNSO all the way.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: