News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Repaints for our dinosaur game.

Started by WickedWargames, July 27, 2021, 01:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WickedWargames

Hey gang. So i want to talk more about our game we're developing to play with toy dinosaurs. I thought it pertinent to post in the relevant boards where possible and i figured i'd start one dedicated to just the repaints and modifications we're making. Lot's of this information is a bit backdated so i'll spread out the posting of it over the next few days. I hope you enjoy this thread.
p.s. we're using quite a few chinasaurs and upgrading our collection as we go. 

In the game you can field different sizes and ages of dinosaurs. This photo shows two triceratops that i repainted. i wish i had pictures of these two before i painted them but this picture shows quite nicely the weathering on the bigger one which i achieved using eye shadow. (a layer of spray matt varnish sealed it on).

This Miragaia is a chinasaur bought from the entertainer toy shop a few years ago. The game doesn't actually have Miragaia in it yet but it will soon when we begin to add plated dinosaurs. It's a gaudy and shocking repaint but i did it on purpose as the chinasaur mold line was quite prominent so i hid it behind the streaking. I had a lot of fun building up the color layers on it's plates for sure.

This image shows a chinasaur brahciosaurus and a CollectA brachiosaurus repainted to matche. I used a method called "spray fading" that i developed over a few models wherein i use a piece of card to obscure the previous layer of spray and build up to light tones. I also used extensive eye shadow weathering on these and it lookes awesome, like they've kicked up all that dust below them.

I can't wait to share more. I've literally got so many pictures and limited them into short blog posts on our site in the ever toxic chase of "content" has been bugging me so i look forward to sharing to an interested and relevant community in depth. I shall do my best to provide before and afters where possible.

Speak soon.
Arthur

Halichoeres

I hear you on the frenetic pace of social media. One thing I like about the forum is that it's a little easier to savor things and have a proper conversation. Looking forward to seeing more of your repaints.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

These look great! I'd be interested in seeing more of your painting process.

Creature

Those look really nice! Clever use of the striping on the Miragaia to hide the mold lines. I like the color scheme, but I also really like brightly-colored dinosaurs.
Instagram: where I play with dinosaurs, horses, and action figures.

WickedWargames

In the book we're working on there is a whole section about basing, painting and prepping models for play. The brachiosaurs below where painted using the spray fading technique. It's in the book in more detail (when we release it) but here are some pics of how it works, basically you prime a base color (in the example we use black to light grey) and at each interval you use a piece of card to obscure some of the model so that the lighter color goes on a different section of the dinosaur. It's pretty basic but it's really fun and it's kind of a cheat way of airbrushing.

We also talk about "spotting" which in this image i do with a fine brush and a slow touch.

WickedWargames

Quote from: Creature on July 29, 2021, 06:25:38 AM
Those look really nice! Clever use of the striping on the Miragaia to hide the mold lines. I like the color scheme, but I also really like brightly-colored dinosaurs.

I also love brightly colored dinos, our styracosaurs are just brigh yellow basically :P

SidB

W @WickedWargames , I really like how you've transformed the "cheaposaur" Miragaia knockoff of Forest Rogers's great original into something quite attractive. Well done. The Styracosaurus herd is interesting. I notice that some have the straight horn, others the slightly backwards curving type. Neat to notice the change in interpretation of this feature over the years crystalized in your little herd.

WickedWargames

/ah i hadn't noticed the horn on the styracosaurus's. I guess that's just a sculpt thing? One of them was a really cheap little hard plastic guy not sure where from. My favorite is the big one, lot's of character.

WickedWargames

Photographed the gallery photos for the book yesterday. Some of these need redoing. I would share the manafacturers but sadly i don't kow most of them, i do know the t-rex and suchomimus/baryonyx/ brachiosaurus are from collecta. The Parasaurolophus is from pound land,  ​

Salratsaurus, smiling and gleeful. A cheap model but we couldn't find a better salty in scale. (for now)

Our favorite smaller triceratops model, we have a larger one but it's quite a bit to giant.

Our converted kosmoceratops. We had to put the horns on some cheaper dinosaur models.

Deinonychus from tamiya, we just got a bunch more of these so we can swarm the table, they're a little large but they're gorgeous.

Our Carcharodontasaurus stand in, big blue.

edmontosaurus

Parasaurolophus from pound land, a surprisingly gorgeous model. I'd love to know who they knocked off for this sculpt.

Beautiful collect a sucho.

Our collect A repaint, the original paint job was far to clean for us.

Our only "in scale" ankylosaurus, cheap and cheerful. He's a bit cartoony but he works for now.

Collect A brachiosaurus, not quite in scale but a good looking model...even if he is a tiny bit stiff.

More soon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.