News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kurupi, new Brazilian Abelisaur.

Started by Dynomikegojira, September 05, 2021, 07:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Once again, I was not making that specific comparison.
Please, let's not talk about this anymore, it will just be bad for the both of us

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 10, 2021, 04:00:36 PM
Once again, I was not making that specific comparison.
Oh, really? Doesn't matter. You specified an extremely derogatory slur.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

stargatedalek

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 10, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 10, 2021, 03:52:49 PM
You are getting offended over the hypothetical name, and its justified and I agree with you that you should be mad if something was that name.
I will not further talk on this subject to avoid further controversies and anothe rpossible ban.
I'm sorry, is Kurupi a word associated with atrocities involving people being treated like property and torn away from their familes purely because it was convenient and profitable? No.
Actually it is. Or are women not a vulnerable group because we aren't conveniently able to be lumped into one category? Kurupi is associated with not just the concept of sex or fertility, but sexual assault and cultural normalization of the exploitation of women. It's not bad because of prudishness.

Is it equivalent to the n-word? No, not in any way. It's not something that's used as a slur. But it does have extremely uncomfortable associations that are worth calling out the authors for.

Imagine a British dinosaur being named after Jack the Ripper? Or an American dinosaur named after Al Capone? That's more the level of yuck this name is on.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 10, 2021, 05:03:28 PM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 10, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 10, 2021, 03:52:49 PM
You are getting offended over the hypothetical name, and its justified and I agree with you that you should be mad if something was that name.
I will not further talk on this subject to avoid further controversies and anothe rpossible ban.
I'm sorry, is Kurupi a word associated with atrocities involving people being treated like property and torn away from their familes purely because it was convenient and profitable? No.
Actually it is. Or are women not a vulnerable group because we aren't conveniently able to be lumped into one category? Kurupi is associated with not just the concept of sex or fertility, but sexual assault and cultural normalization of the exploitation of women. It's not bad because of prudishness.

Is it equivalent to the n-word? No, not in any way. It's not something that's used as a slur. But it does have extremely uncomfortable associations that are worth calling out the authors for.

Imagine a British dinosaur being named after Jack the Ripper? Or an American dinosaur named after Al Capone? That's more the level of yuck this name is on.
That's fair. But I still do believe that Stegotyranno handled the situation very poorly with his comparisons

Stegotyranno420

I was trying to say what stargate stated. U realise I was not saying taht certain word on purpose because I was showing a general example that can work on different levels?

On another somewhat related note your langauge is extremely uncalled for and churlish. It severely violates rule 2 (no profanity) and this is not the first time you used such langauge. Once again, it's a forum that has toy and dinosaur in the title, sure there must be some children on here.

ITdactyl

I am sorry that this thread blew up.  :( I totally understand that a lot of people feel the discussion is overblown, and that a name is just a name.  I wanted to write an explanation here for my reaction though I'm not trying to get people onboard my idea, I'm merely stating it.

1. Calling Kurupi a "fertility god" is an oversimplification - in the same vein as calling every scaly beast from every myth a "dragon" and every fire bird a "phoenix", despite the stories/context being vastly different. It makes discussion about its myth safer (if we have age, religious or political considerations) but it also dilutes how dark the stories really are. They are particularly problematic for Guarani women because the stories are used to explain away topics like abductions, affairs and assault. And if a guarani man was very virile or endowed, he would be "teased" that he probably inherited these features from his "real" father, the Kurupi (which is an insult to the mother).
That the team describing the fossil just decided to call the dinosaur Kurupi itaata because it was found near a "love hotel" despite the attached myth seems a poor decision.

2. HOWEVER, I also found out that the name is just thrown around in the region (even being a popular brand name for mate, a type of caffeinated drink). I realize that knowing what a foreign word means is important, but I should also be aware of how it's used natively. It seems the old stories no longer hold the same weight and is merely a novelty nowadays.

I was attracted to this topic not because of the new dinosaur. I got overly excited finding out another culture 12,000 miles away has the same myth . The Guarani call it "Kurupi", we call it "Kapre". It's surprising to still find influences from the old Spanish galleon trade. But, yeah, I've derailed this topic long enough.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 11, 2021, 12:51:41 AM
I was trying to say what stargate stated. U realise I was not saying taht certain word on purpose because I was showing a general example that can work on different levels?

On another somewhat related note your langauge is extremely uncalled for and churlish. It severely violates rule 2 (no profanity) and this is not the first time you used such langauge. Once again, it's a forum that has toy and dinosaur in the title, sure there must be some children on here.
Young children are not meant to be on the internet, and this forum is host to teen - adult collectors. Besides, I'm pretty sure even if there were a kid who stumbled across this forum on accident they would not be interested in the "News" section.

Stegotyranno420

Even if children arent allowed(which I'm pretty sure they are, I joined when I was 12) it's still a violation of rule 2 to talk like that

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.