News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Kurupi, new Brazilian Abelisaur.

Started by Dynomikegojira, September 05, 2021, 07:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomikegojira

Kurupi itaata is a genus of abelisaurid that live in the Marília Formation in Brazil. I'm a sucker for getting more Brazilian theropods at the end of the Cretaceous since the remains are pretty scrabby.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0895981121003977?via%3Dihub

ITdactyl

Ugh... paywall. ;D

Weird choice of name, considering a Kurupi is a hairy forest man of Guarani myth - used to scare girls into behaving properly (he's supposed to have a very long, prehensile... uh... intromittent organ; and blamed for unwanted pregnancies).

Paleoart by Julia D'Oliveira

sidenote: Prehistoric South America must have been inundated with juicy sauropodlets to support this diversity of medium-large theropods.

Faelrin

I'm at least relieved they mention the holotype material (and number) within the abstract. The abstract only mentions there's some vertebrae, and parts of the pelvis. From the images it looks like there's limb material or is that actually part of the pelvis, and I'm just confused about what I'm seeing? Already see a wikipedia page up and illustration of the skeletal remains and information from the paper about the choice of name, which was given because the remains were discovered near a "love hotel". The scientific name meaning is nsfw perhaps? It's on the wikipedia article anyways for the curious.

In any case I'm glad to see another Brazillian abelisaurid has been discovered even if it has fragmentary remains. The artwork is lovely too, even if pretty speculative at this point.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

Yikes... Turns out the name really was based on the myth (fossils found near a love hotel where unwanted pregnancies usually happen)

The English translation of the scientific name doesn't help either.
Kurupi itaata - "Rock hard fertility god"

I don't want to be culturally disrespectful but I wish scientific names described details of the organism, rather than a colorful story only loosely tied to it.

Dynomikegojira

I'm iffy on the naming myself but I decided to keep it to myself unless someone else brought it up. Imagine this being a running joke in the Jurassic films.

Ikessauro

As a Brazilian myself, I think this name takes the cake on the worst dinosaur name given for a Brazilian dino so far. Didn't really find it funny nor respectful with the animal. Not sure who came up with the idea, but it was not a great choice for sure. I don't see companies making KIDS TOYS of this genus so soon.

Cretaceous Crab

Stegotyranno420

Why does it seem like filth is corrupting everything in my life I hold dear :(...
Seriously, we need more robust rules and maybe a reform on species naming in my opinion.

Could had kept it simple like, I don't know, Mariliovenator brasilica.

Halichoeres

I have access to the pdf of the proofs in case anybody wants it. Just pm me your email address.

The name is a little puerile, but I'm not sure I'd say it's disrespectful. We have an entire phylum of animals (Priapulida) named after a Greek fertility god (see also: "priapism"), why not a genus after a Guaraní one? And there are toys of a stem-group priapulid (Ottoia). From the paper, for the curious: "The choice of the name is due to the fact that the fossils were found in the region of 'Motel Paraíso' ('Paradise Motel'), a place intended for intimate encounters."

I definitely prefer this to "Thanos" but that's a low bar.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 08, 2021, 02:59:23 PM
I have access to the pdf of the proofs in case anybody wants it. Just pm me your email address.

The name is a little puerile, but I'm not sure I'd say it's disrespectful. We have an entire phylum of animals (Priapulida) named after a Greek fertility god (see also: "priapism"), why not a genus after a Guaraní one? And there are toys of a stem-group priapulid (Ottoia). From the paper, for the curious: "The choice of the name is due to the fact that the fossils were found in the region of 'Motel Paraíso' ('Paradise Motel'), a place intended for intimate encounters."

I definitely prefer this to "Thanos" but that's a low bar.
Yeah.
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

ITdactyl

Good catch... if Hellenistic Priapus can have a group of animals named after him, there should be nothing wrong with Guarani Kurupi getting similar treatment....

What bothers me is that the Priapulidae  are so named because they are shaped like male genitals (and Priapus is an actual fertility god - albeit a lecherous one - that people prayed to, to either get pregnant or increase their virility)...
..while Kurupi itaata got its name because its fossils were found near a motel? (and Kurupi being a story used to scare people against adultery and similar behavior - hardly something I'd immortalize by tagging it to a newly found dinosaur)

Of course, that's just me being unnecessarily pedantic.  ;D I should stop.  O:-)

Stegotyranno420

Deleted

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 10, 2021, 01:29:47 AM
I mean exactly Priupalids shouldn't have those kind of names. Of course we cant just reform it now or otherwise it will lead to mass confusion, the damage has been done, but we can prevent further damage.
Literally making a fuss over nothing. It's just a name.

Stegotyranno420

Deleted

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 10, 2021, 03:06:08 PM
Okay I find a dinosaur I name it (extremely degrotarpry slur) surely , people would make a issue about that (dont get the idea I will actually do that tho). See it's not just a name. Names have meaning.  This meaning can be repulsive and offensive.

People are always trying to add filth in everything.  Not everything has to be about reproduction.
Why are you comparing a mythological figure to the [REDACTED] C:-) N-word. That's incredibly disrespectful

[Post edited by moderator for violation of forum rule 2]

Stegotyranno420

Deleted

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 10, 2021, 03:50:24 PM
I was not referring to that specific word.
Either way, you proved my point
No, No I *sniped by moderator C:-)* didn't. You should be ashamed of yourself.

[Post edited by moderator for violation of forum rule 2]

Stegotyranno420

You are getting offended over the hypothetical name, and its justified and I agree with you that you should be mad if something was that name.
I will not further talk on this subject to avoid further controversies and anothe rpossible ban.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on September 10, 2021, 03:52:49 PM
You are getting offended over the hypothetical name, and its justified and I agree with you that you should be mad if something was that name.
I will not further talk on this subject to avoid further controversies and anothe rpossible ban.
I'm sorry, is Kurupi a word associated with atrocities involving people being treated like property and torn away from their familes purely because it was convenient and profitable? No.

GojiraGuy1954

Frankly, your comparison is unjust, unwarranted and offensive.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: