News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

REBOR 1:35 X-REX Swarm & REBOR 1:35 X-rex Broodlord

Started by GojiraGuy1954, October 21, 2019, 08:20:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Lu_Yuping on May 28, 2020, 11:28:02 AM
Rebor have announced that the second variant - Swarm X-Rex Plague variant will be available around July. It has a removable dome to show the skull detail beneath.

https://www.facebook.com/reborstudio/posts/2817348941725429

This version I liked more since it shows the tyrannosaur skull more, but we haven't even received Broodlord here in the U.S. yet.

Shonisaurus

It is a terrifying figure, it is super cool the figure seems real. Although I do not collect those figures (I like more prehistoric animals based on scientific models or JP / JW or King Kong fictional models) I have to admit that this figure is very well made, it is an unusual figure in terms of its finish .

Over9K

BBTS has preorders open for the Plague variant of the Swarm X-rex... $44.95 for a July release...

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/126128

Blade-of-the-Moon

Rebor mentioned on their facebook page that BBTS has the Broodlord X-Rex in their warehouse but just hasn't got around to listing it as in stock yet.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 29, 2020, 04:01:52 AM
Rebor mentioned on their facebook page that BBTS has the Broodlord X-Rex in their warehouse but just hasn't got around to listing it as in stock yet.

Pretty sure BBTS is skeleton covid crew at the moment...

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Over9K on May 29, 2020, 11:55:21 AM

That would make sense. Though they are listing new products and preorders.

Over9K

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 29, 2020, 02:57:35 PM
Quote from: Over9K on May 29, 2020, 11:55:21 AM

That would make sense. Though they are listing new products and preorders.

That's true, and shipping stuff out, but they're not at the top of their game. They shipped out my Black Series Boba Fett Helmet to me, and I had it at least a week before they listed the helmet as in stock... I got the email alert it was "in stock" and I looked over at it and was like "Yeah, I know..." LOL

cooksonia

Everything Dinosaur now has stock of the Plague variant so I ordered one to go with my Broodlord. Nice figures as I collect dino figures and alien figures (Neca, Kotokibuya, Palisade etc}

Lu_Yuping

I received my Plague Swarm today but unfortunately the legs are wonky and it has balance issues. I've asked Everything Dinosaur if I can exchange it for a replacement, so awaiting their response. I sent photos of the warped legs. In your experience, do Everything Dinosaur normally allow returns of defective models?

Mattyonyx

I came across this Tweet by Stjepan Sejic, renowned artist and author of the original Xenomorph T.rex:

https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/status/1204505394359328769

He doesn't look upset about it,  which is nice of him. The fact remains that the so-called "license" does not exist and he was not even informed about the production process: he could have shared the first images from the very beginning and Rebor could have mentioned the collaboration, but there's no trace of Sjejic on any site or external news about the model. That's not exactly how a license works, and it's clear he won't earn anything from the model sales.

Then I found this old tweet by RJ Palmer, an artist we all know and author of another concept for a Xenomorph T. rex:

https://twtext.com/article/1266041171857469442#

This is even worse because there was no real permission to use that head design.

These artists can't even be genuinely proud of the result, because they've never been really involved.

REBOR_STUDIO

Quote from: Mattyonyx on November 07, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
I came across this Tweet by Stjepan Sejic, renowned artist and author of the original Xenomorph T.rex:

https://twitter.com/stjepansejic/status/1204505394359328769

He doesn't look upset about it,  which is nice of him. The fact remains that the so-called "license" does not exist and he was not even informed about the production process: he could have shared the first images from the very beginning and Rebor could have mentioned the collaboration, but there's no trace of Sjejic on any site or external news about the model. That's not exactly how a license works, and it's clear he won't earn anything from the model sales.

Then I found this old tweet by RJ Palmer, an artist we all know and author of another concept for a Xenomorph T. rex:

https://twtext.com/article/1266041171857469442#

This is even worse because there was no real permission to use that head design.

These artists can't even be genuinely proud of the result, because they've never been really involved.

RJ Palmer talked with us and apologised for the misunderstanding as the design of our Swarm X-REX headsculpt with mutated tyrannosaurus skull and repeated temporal fenestra was clearly unique and wans't inspired by his work. Go and ask him if it's true, we have the conversation saved.

Mattyonyx

Sure. I'll do it, and in that case, I'll be glad to take back my earlier remarks.

That said, whatever happened with Palmer doesn't compare to the use of Sejic's artwork, especially since a lot of the promotion and praise for the model was based on how creative the design was. Some clarity outside of the DTF would not hurt anyone.

stargatedalek

Palmer is not exactly known for his levelheadedness. I'm not surprised he would make knee-jerk accusations of copying before even thinking if it may have been a coincidence, as it wouldn't even be the first time. Sorry you guys got caught up in that nonsense too (there are only so many colours someone can make a turtle, I told him, but nooo, definitely copied from his unused Saurian concept art, totally...).

Mattyonyx

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 07, 2021, 07:14:24 PM
Palmer is not exactly known for his levelheadedness. I'm not surprised he would make knee-jerk accusations of copying before even thinking if it may have been a coincidence, as it wouldn't even be the first time. Sorry you guys got caught up in that nonsense too (there are only so many colours someone can make a turtle, I told him, but nooo, definitely copied from his unused Saurian concept art, totally...).

Although I understand your point of view, I might point out that the situation here is a little different: at the time, three artworks were depicting a Xenomorph/Tyrannosaur hybrid, two of which were made by Sejic and one by Palmer. We already know that the main version of the model is pure Sejic, so Palmer is even marginal in this discussion, but the similarities are there, and that means the model has, coincidentally or not, something of both the artists.

Ironically the second artwork by Sejic has been made into a toy by someone in Mexico, probably by modifying a Rebor Model.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.