News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New Brazilian Toothless Dinosaur Berthasaura leopoldinae

Started by Ikessauro, November 18, 2021, 10:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ikessauro

On the news here in Brazil is a paper about a new species of Noasaurid theropod from the same fossil site as the pterosaur Caiuajara. This new dino was named Berthasaura leopoldinae and was a small, toothless animal. Exciting for me, as it's a new dino from my home state. Fairly complete too.
Paper can be viewed here https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-01312-4

Gothmog the Baryonyx

It's a juvenile, so it may not have been toothless as an adult, though it is a very interesting discovery, and one if the most complete of this year's dinosaurs named.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Ikessauro

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 18, 2021, 11:00:10 PM
It's a juvenile, so it may not have been toothless as an adult, though it is a very interesting discovery, and one if the most complete of this year's dinosaurs named.

Well, the paper states "It most likely was a young sub-adult at time of death, comparable to ontogenetic stages 3 or 4 of Limusaurus inextricabilis".

I always understood that "sub adult" was an "almost" adult animal, older than a juvenile, but not quite fully mature. Maybe equivalent to a 17 - 22 year old human? Am I wrong in assuming this?

English is not my native language, so I might not be understanding it properly.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro when I commented that, I was going off a combination of secondary info, someone saying it was an infant on cisiopurple's page, and Gabriel Ugueto's artwork, but I've had a look at the paper and it is a sub-adult, and would be toothless as adult, the authors' suggesting herbivorous diet etc...
EDIT: Immature anyway, so I suppose could be juvelise, but probably just a not-quite fully grown individual. :END EDIT
So carry on, and sorry. I really need to read papers before commenting.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Faelrin

First off lucky you avatar_Ikessauro @Ikessauro to have something so interesting found so close by.

Secondly wow this is already one of my favorite discoveries this year. I mean just look at it! Love how near complete the remains are, immature status aside. Glad the paper is not paywalled either. While I'm already hoping for a figure of this down the line, I also hope its relative Limusaurus gets a figure made someday as well. Both are very interesting animals.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

This is a cool find. Very lucky to have so much of the skeleton.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.