You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

outdated dinosaur halls and exhibits.

Started by dyno77, February 15, 2022, 09:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyno77

In europe alot of the dinosaur halls or exhibit areas are still so outdated ,its just something thats still hard to imagine unless you have visited them.
The nhm in london and even the nhm in paris ,despite what you might otherwise read or see advertised,are without question ,really outdated and even 10yrs were as well,but the nhm in london is of interest more because its known worldwide....
Now iv been to them so many times,and yes there are other new galleries in nhm london and they are adding more even now ,but none of them are to do with fossils and adding 1 new dinosaur in a different hall doesn't count.
The dinosaur hall in londons nhm hasnt been updated in over 30yrs...all the dinosaurs are in retro poses and the hall itself is a mess and im not the only 1 to mention that...The triceratops has been in this hall has been in the same pose for 100ys and there photos to show this in there official history of the museum guide...This triceratops in particular was based on marshes reconstructions and its so clear to see...thats how old it is...
Its known the staff in charge of the dinosaur area have little interest in updating because all the funding goes to other areas of the museum ,which is all fine and well because iv seen part of it ,being the specimen jar collection ..
However the dinosaurs seem to get next to no funding and even worse than that ,because of this they look less interesting being in the same area in the same position year after year and adding some tv panels makes zero difference ,the robotics are a joke in my view,iv never seen so limited movement ,they are the same robotics that were around when i first visited it back decades ago....
Recently being about 6 or 7 yrs ago, most may not know this ,but the museum was offered a large t rex specimen for free for 4 months and it was turned down....this in my view shows the current state of a lack of interest by the staff and whoever is curator of the dinosaur hall....They simply have next to zero interest in updating or even adding anything ...and with the current state of things i doubt it will be ever updated because they had so long and did nothing and added nothing ....
Not only this but the storage room in london nhm has some of the most unique specimens ,including megalosaurus,and the first trex once called dynamosaurus as well as alot of the first dinosaur ever found in the world not just in europe ,but they dont even make a big deal of it because whoever is in charge has zero interest in dinosaurs most likely and its nothing to do with funds,because they decided a long time ago dinosaurs weren't their priority..
This is important to bring up because apart from a few comments there isn't any mention of any of this unless your a certain type of dinosaur enthusiast.All of this is well known but its not mentioned all at once and the nhm in paris is far better even though some of its specimens haven't been updated since the 1930s...Its different because its 1 of the last old style layouts left....
so there are outdated dinosaur displays and halls  in 2 major museums in europe,while others have been updated,alot are smaller and have far less on display...

ceratopsian

The NHM has very prominent dinosaur experts employed as curators and they are in the forefront of research.  Having enthusiastic world experts such as Professor Paul Barrett and Dr Susie Maidment working as curators doesn't however translate into the massive funding that would be required to update the galleries. Museums do not have access to the sort of cash and other resources in these straightened times that would be required. 

CityRaptor

Updating those takes a lot effort. The Humboldt Museum in Berlin had to close their Dinosaur exhibit for 2 years when they updated it.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Pachyrhinosaurus

I don't have such a negative opinion on outdated exhibits. They're quite nostalgic. I don't see why museums can't keep older displays and add signage to show visitors how far we've come since then. As for London, I've never been there, but from what I can tell, it doesn't look as great as it used to. Extinct Monsters recently did some articles about the NHM that explain it better than I can.

https://extinctmonsters.net/2021/12/30/visitor-well-being-and-nhms-dinosaur-exhibit/

https://extinctmonsters.net/2022/01/16/the-dinosaurs-of-londons-natural-history-museum/

I also prefer the previous Smithsonian fossil hall to the new one as well, though for different reasons in regard to overall design and appearance. In my opinion, the new Smithsonian halls are too open, bright and overlit and there's too much glass compared to how it used to be. Not a fan of the action poses, either.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

dyno77

iv read them ,its very interesting,there is nothing wrong with old retro style mounts and sculptures ,i actually prefer them over the newer versions,its just to note that in america im aware of all the recent updates they had to their halls,and even new dinosaur sections open,but in europe its on a much smaller scale...
So what this tells me either they dont have the funding because other areas of the museum get it,which is strange to me because i though dinosaurs were still popular esp after jurassic world ...
Idk who makes the decisions ,but if a dinosaur exhibit does come around its usually not permanent ,which is fine but when something is added its usually 1 skeleton and this would be after  a gap of years...in my view it clearly isn't enough...
If dinosaurs were really as popular as the media lets on then how come they still get next to nothing in the main museums in europe?
Berlin museum dinosaur hall was updated in 2007 since then nothing has been added to the fossil hall because i was there in recent years...all the additions are onto other areas of the museum and then they are promoted if they are the main thing ..
Its just confusing something after reading how great and popular dinosaurs are worldwide and hearing the millions they bring in each year and the vast amount of new discoveries,  yet none of this transitions to the dinosaur halls...
i know elsewhere they are much bigger deal and they get some great exhibitions...europe gets short changed when it comes to dinosaur exhibits,you might have to wait years for 1 good exhibition to come along.... 

Theriz

I don't like outdated dinosaur halls and galleries. Then again I don't hold nostalgia for outdated dinosaurs (that is why I don't like InVicta) I went to the Natural History Museum today and it looks like they haven't updated since the 70's or 80's. The rest was awesome, but the dinosaurs were the weak link. I would love to see it updated soon.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.