News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Arms, Jaws and Tails.

Started by MesozoicJohn, December 14, 2021, 06:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesozoicJohn

The first of my Dinosaur models arrived today and I have to say that they are excellent. Well detailed and painted to a very high standard, they are truly amazing.

There were, however, a few things that I wanted to improve on some of the models, namely the gaps in the moveable jaws, moveable arms and moveable tails. Take me right, I think it is brilliant that the models can be posed and reposed, makes for a great verity of ways to display them but I decided to position mine how I like them best then to hide any unnatural looking gaps.

This was very easy to do with some fine grade milliput and acrylic paints. The models are multi shades so it is really easy to blend in colour.

John :)

MesozoicJohn

MesozoicJohn

Duck

Your attention to quality is superb! I love the customizations as well.
Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 14, 2021, 06:13:33 PM
The first of my Dinosaur models arrived today and I have to say that they are excellent. Well detailed and painted to a very high standard, they are truly amazing.

There were, however, a few things that I wanted to improve on some of the models, namely the gaps in the moveable jaws, moveable arms and moveable tails. Take me right, I think it is brilliant that the models can be posed and reposed, makes for a great verity of ways to display them but I decided to position mine how I like them best then to hide any unnatural looking gaps.

This was very easy to do with some fine grade milliput and acrylic paints. The models are multi shades so it is really easy to blend in colour.

What model is that? It looks neat.
He who dwells in pond

SidB

Good approach to the 'gap' issue, avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn . More than a few folk become disenchanted with otherwise superb sculpts and offload them because of this complaint. Your solution is very cost effective, looks great and acts as an antidote to one cause of the rush to dissatisfaction that afflicts certain excesses of consumerism in our hobby, especially as these gaps are often the only reason to tire of or reject a sculpt.

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: SidB on December 15, 2021, 12:24:59 PM
Good approach to the 'gap' issue, avatar_MesozoicJohn @MesozoicJohn . More than a few folk become disenchanted with otherwise superb sculpts and offload them because of this complaint. Your solution is very cost effective, looks great and acts as an antidote to one cause of the rush to dissatisfaction that afflicts certain excesses of consumerism in our hobby, especially as these gaps are often the only reason to tire of or reject a sculpt.

Thank you SidB.

I thought it was just me but I am glad I am not the only one who is so fussy.

The fix is really easy (i can only do easy) but very effective.

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Duck on December 15, 2021, 12:35:01 AM
Your attention to quality is superb! I love the customizations as well.
Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 14, 2021, 06:13:33 PM

What model is that? It looks neat.

Hi Duck,

He is the Rebor Dilophosaurus Green Day, I have him and his mate Oasis.

CARN0TAURUS

Looks amazing!  Are you using an airbrush to do your blending?

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 15, 2021, 04:17:55 PM

Thank you CARNOTAURUS,

No, just brushes. I also use Games Workshop shades and mix paint with matt varnish too but always apply with a brush.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 15, 2021, 07:27:48 PM

Thank you CARNOTAURUS,

No, just brushes. I also use Games Workshop shades and mix paint with matt varnish too but always apply with a brush.

Wow, I just assumed it was air brushed.  You must go back over with very thinned out layers of paint over and over to get like that with a brush?  What's the secret, it looks so clean.

Shonisaurus

I congratulate you on your work, it is honestly good to hide the seams caused by the manufacture of the dinosaur toy figures and especially to hide the seams of the articulated parts of the dinosaurs in this case the jaws. It's looking great on you, by the way, how long does it take you to do that job?

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on December 15, 2021, 08:10:10 PM
Quote from: MesozoicJohn on December 15, 2021, 07:27:48 PM

Thank you CARNOTAURUS,

Wow, I just assumed it was air brushed.  You must go back over with very thinned out layers of paint over and over to get like that with a brush?  What's the secret, it looks so clean.

Thank you. Applying the thinned paint or shades does not take long, it's the waiting for them to dry that takes up the time.

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 16, 2021, 09:29:32 AM
I congratulate you on your work, it is honestly good to hide the seams caused by the manufacture of the dinosaur toy figures and especially to hide the seams of the articulated parts of the dinosaurs in this case the jaws. It's looking great on you, by the way, how long does it take you to do that job?

Thank you,

Applying the Milliput takes about 10 minutes depending on how much is required and what type of pattern is added.
Drying time is over night to be on the safe side.
Paint and shades are very quick to apply, waiting 2 hours between coats is the time eater!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.