News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mesozoic Life Project - Kickstarter 2022

Started by Thialfi, May 07, 2022, 11:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: Leyster on August 13, 2024, 06:31:05 PMavatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian I think you're being a bit unfair in regards to Mesozoic Life Project. I get that the model might have some slight flaws, like that webbed foot in DinosDragons' video (but I don't know if it's like that in all copies), but after all it's the very first project of this kind by its creator, and I think that, all considered, it turned out great. Just consider that BOTM (and I'm comparing it with BOTM not because I've something against BOTM, but because being a Kickstarter project too it's a bit closer to the scopes of Mesozoic Life Project than, daresay, PNSO o Safari), still they figures have more than one, as you said, "unacceptable flaw" (like the little-of-use bases, or the unmovable feet that ends up warping, or the lower jaw of some ceratopsians). And yet it looks to me that no one really minded them so much, all considered. So I don't think there is this positive bias towards Mesozoic Life Project. If anything, it's being bashed a bit.

I admit, I sounded a bit too negative. I should have mentioned that the figure still is very beautiful. I wasn't thinking of paleontologic stuff like the webbed foot.
To me it's disappointing that after a three year production process the model and the (I think it's an important) base obviously do not fit together. I didn't plan to display the model with a PNSO rod. Some do not care about the base, that's okay, but the beautiful thing was advertised this way, I liked it very much and to me it was the least I expected.

To be honest the bad temper of my post didn't only have to do with the Mesozoic Life Project. It's the repetition. I've supported several Kickstarter projects in music, comic books or enamel pins and all went perfectly. But with Dinosaur projects I'm always unlucky. The only exception was David Krentz.

SenSx

I really don't know which Spinosaurus to get for a 1/35 model.

The Mesozoic Life looks great, but I find it too big for that scale.
The PNSO is the contrary, maybe too small, but I'm not even sure, it might still fit for a 13 or 14 meter long individual.
And with my experience, species tend to be downsize, especially the very fragmentary ones...

Jorgesaurus

Hello, can someone help me? I want to buy this spinosaurus. I live in the USA, but I don't know what page or website I can buy it on. Thank you very much.

SenSx

Quote from: Jorgesaurus on August 14, 2024, 05:25:25 AMHello, can someone help me? I want to buy this spinosaurus. I live in the USA, but I don't know what page or website I can buy it on. Thank you very much.

I don't think it is available yet for the non kickstarter buyer.
You have to wait for some chinese seller to have them in stock, but the owner of this project will give the official ones when they are ready.
There are fake sellers who claim to send this figure, don't buy to them.

Concavenator

Quote from: SenSx on August 14, 2024, 08:55:56 AM
Quote from: Jorgesaurus on August 14, 2024, 05:25:25 AMHello, can someone help me? I want to buy this spinosaurus. I live in the USA, but I don't know what page or website I can buy it on. Thank you very much.

I don't think it is available yet for the non kickstarter buyer.
You have to wait for some chinese seller to have them in stock, but the owner of this project will give the official ones when they are ready.
There are fake sellers who claim to send this figure, don't buy to them.

Non-Kickstarter buyers can indeed buy the Spinosaurus now, from here:

https://shandorashop.com/products/agatsuma-zenitsu-aniplex-kimetsu-no-yaiba-1

Blayken (Kevin) said so in this video:

Jorgesaurus

Faelrin

So checked the tracking number again out of curiosity, and it looks like it has landed in the US, and even in my state (PA). Guess I'll have this one by the end of the month if I'm lucky.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

He's here.
And he's huge.

^Comparison with a couple of other large items I quickly had on hand.
I'm currently handling and photographing the figure*, and my preliminary thoughts are: it's a beautiful figure and a centerpiece-worthy item for sure, but it does have some quality control issues indicative of being the Project team's first attempt at a mass-produced figure. There is indeed an error in the webbing on the right foot, and the figure really doesn't fit the base snugly - although the base still works, so worry not in that regard.

*for some reason my camera is not doing the detail of this figure any favors. I'll need to play around some more and figure out if it's the fault of the camera, or the fault of my setup.

Faelrin

avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon Congrats on finally getting it in hand. Size comparison does me good there as I have that BotM T. rex figure. Don't have the Haolonggood Apatosaurus yet, but gives me an idea on how big that one is too.

What's this issue with the webbing on that foot? I've seen it mentioned earlier in the thread I think.

Fembrogon

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin there's a divot missing from the second toe. It's not a drastic issue, but it's a design quirk nonetheless. Maybe Ramses got bitten on the foot by a croc as a juvenile.

I think I figured out how to adjust the lightbox setup, so my photos are coming out better. I'll also be taking some outdoor photos when I get the chance, although I might save them until I have the official Blog review ready. We'll see.

Abobo

Still nothing yet for me, I wonder if any european backer received theirs?

BlueKrono

Mine arrived today, so it shouldn't be too much longer for other US backers. I ordered and paid for one of the 43 unpainted figures, but I received a painted one. I guess I can't complain about that. Mine is also missing the webbing on the right foot, so it must be an all-of-them problem.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Faelrin

Mine also arrived today, and I'm in love with it. Can't believe I only paid $60 and some shipping I think. Gorgeously painted too (blows my mind how they nailed those tiny eyes and teeth). Mine doesn't seem to have too much trouble with its toes fitting in the base, but it does have the weird webbing going on in between the second and third toes. Comparing the figure in hand to this image, it definitely seems like a molding issue or the like has happened, as it does not seem to be present on the toes as can be seen in this image (might need to open it in a new tab and zoom in a lot). In other words the final product is missing a chunk of the webbing in between those toes that appears to be on the prototype. One could compare it to the image provided in avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres thread too for a better look.

Honestly though I can live with it, as the rest of the figure holds up great, and is such a pleasure to look at. It's so big too, which is what I want from a Spinosaurus figure. Anyways here's a bunch of images I took of it:

Some random figures on hand at the moment.

It's longer then the neck is on my Mattel Legacy Brachiosaurus!

Is this yellow spot on the face on anyone else's? Not sure if it is intentional or a accidental speck, but I like it and think it adds character (individual variation). It's not present on the other side of my figure, hence why I'm wondering.

Might not be a 100% fit, but it works well enough both feet are adjusted correctly and pushed down, and the figure is very stable on it (thankfully due to the peg on the base that sockets very cleanly into the left foot). That said I am curious if any PNSO figure stands would be able to support it properly off the base (if not the new BotM stands).

Fembrogon

Mine also has some yellow on the face, although not applied identically. There appear to be splotches of light yellow wash along the flanks and tail too. I'm not fond of it, honestly, as it looks more like stain marks than natural pigment.
A PNSO stand can definitely work with Ramses, depending on the height of the stand. Secure it under the chest or armpit and the figure should hold steady. The new BotM stands will take more fenagling, though.

Carnoking

Ramses is finally here and he's a stunner! It almost doesn't feel real to have this figure in hand after nearly two years but I think it's safe to say that it was worth the wait.

Although perhaps he could be just a hair smaller  :o

Just for the fun of it, two pharaohs!

Abobo

beautiful, you live in Europe Carnoking?
still waiting for mine here in France :/

Carnoking

Quote from: Abobo on September 05, 2024, 05:50:46 PMbeautiful, you live in Europe Carnoking?
still waiting for mine here in France :/

No, US. Mine took a while from the initial ship notification, no updates for a few weeks it feels like, but once it started to move it got here pretty quick. Hopefully you don't have much longer to wait!

Abobo

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.