News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Red Gazelle review quires

Started by indohyus, March 07, 2022, 05:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indohyus

I have been considering reviewing the Red Gazelle, which was considered an extinct species, but is currently classified as "data deficient" as it's questioned if it really a Red-Fronted Gazelle. Should it be reviewed here, on the ATB or left until it is made certain of it's status?

bmathison1972

Quote from: indohyus on March 07, 2022, 05:02:58 PM
I have been considering reviewing the Red Gazelle, which was considered an extinct species, but is currently classified as "data deficient" as it's questioned if it really a Red-Fronted Gazelle. Should it be reviewed here, on the ATB or left until it is made certain of it's status?

Either way ATB makes the most sense; honestly several of your recent DTB reviews lately (passenger pigeon, paradise parrot, crested pigeon, Steller's sea cow) should probably be for ATB.

My personal thoughts:
DTB: prehistoric (extinct before written history)
ATB: extant of extinct because of, or at least during, modern human activity (roughly 5,000 year ago and later)

@animaltoyforum - thoughts?

stargatedalek

Personally I find it more interesting to see these animals on the DTB. They add a nice variety to the library.

Animals that might go overlooked on the ATB become "What? there's an extinct perch? that's weird!". And rather than a footnote among similar species, feel like fun and left field inclusions on an extinct animal roster composed primarily of dinosaurs.

Halichoeres

Written history is pretty squishy, but it's a reasonably common convention that things extinct since 1500 are considered 'recently' extinct, and things extinct before that are not-so-recent. There was obviously lots of written history before 1500 in lots of places, but that cutoff, while arbitrary in some respects, coincides with the start of a meaningfully different pattern of extinction associated with colonial empires and the like. All of which is a long way of saying I think things like the red gazelle make more sense on ATB. My reference list of prehistoric animal figures doesn't include anything that went extinct after 1500.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

bmathison1972

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 07, 2022, 08:44:15 PM
Written history is pretty squishy, but it's a reasonably common convention that things extinct since 1500 are considered 'recently' extinct, and things extinct before that are not-so-recent. There was obviously lots of written history before 1500 in lots of places, but that cutoff, while arbitrary in some respects, coincides with the start of a meaningfully different pattern of extinction associated with colonial empires and the like. All of which is a long way of saying I think things like the red gazelle make more sense on ATB. My reference list of prehistoric animal figures doesn't include anything that went extinct after 1500.

thanks! I think I meant 1500 not 5000! I get numbers mixed up sometimes!

indohyus

The main issue I have here is that the red gazelle is possibly not a true species, but an odd form of another. It is listed as data deficient, so that's more my question as to whether it's worth reviewing right now.

Halichoeres

Oh, I see, that's a very different question. I don't think it matters, it represents a real animal from recent memory regardless of what its name is. You can just discuss in the review the uncertainty about its status as a species, but I think either way its most comfortable home is the ATB.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.