News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Iguanodon museum model

Started by Gideon, June 19, 2023, 05:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gideon

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone might be able to identify the maker of this large model Iguanodon. I contacted the dino sculptor Roby Braun, who suggested it might be by his predecessor John Holmes. The twin of this model is pictured on page 102 of The London Natural History Museum's Book of the Dinosaur (1998 Ed, so presumably the 1993 edition too), but unlike other similar books from the same period, there are no model credits. Hopefully the image link works.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/8DCj24Q

Thanks for looking,

Peter

DinoToyForum

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum. The link worked but I hotlinked the individual images directly in your post for good measure, I hope you don't mind.

I don't know the sculptor but the style is familiar to several other models from the time that appeared in NHM books. I'm sure you're familiar with these as well.

e.g. Here are some I picked out from the NHM's online image library, including the Iguanodon. So I would guess the sculptor is the same. Not that that's much use.

It's a fantastic model, by the way. If it's part of your own collection, I'm curious how on Earth you came to acquire it!?

Justin_

Also, what is it made of? Unless it is some kind of resin cast I suspect what is in your first pictures is the model from the book but with a better paint job.

Gideon

Thank you for sorting out my original message and adding some images, much appreciated. I'm only just familiarising myself with the models from the NHM books, but the model making credits in some of them list Roby Braun as the most prolific sculptor (his extraordinary career archive is easily found online). He tells me it's not one of his.

I was searching the auctions for something unrelated and just happened to notice it selling in a saleroom fairly nearby. It was love at first sight!

It seems to be of fibreglass construction. There are no signs of repainting, so I don't think it's the NHM model from the picture and it's likely than more than one model was cast from the original mould. An NHM curator suggested the original was in storage.

Gideon

Members might be interested in seeing images of dinosaur exhibits where the skeleton is accompanied by a scale model.

Halichoeres

That's a fascinating piece! I don't know anything about it, but I'll look forward to any updates to your investigation. And welcome to the forum!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.