News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Miller/Sinclair Mold-A-Rama Drama.

Started by Blackdanter, June 06, 2022, 12:59:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdanter

I couldn't see a specific thread for these. Apologies if there is one someplace.

I have a complete set of these, some are 1964 New York World's Trade Fair examples and others likely later 'Gas station' examples.

They are beautiful things and amongst my most prized figures.

They were an absolute bind to source from the UK. All were obtained from the US and, due to their waxy fragility, were a lottery to get shipped here in one piece (I lost six in transit due to bits knocked off or total destruction).

These are older photos of my collection which I found today and thought were worth sharing for reference.

I'm not sure about current availability. I would imagine that they are easily sourced in the US but are very rarely offered for sale in the UK/Europe.

Feel free to post your own collections.

Group (Minus Tyrannosaurus).

Standard Brontosaurus.

Triceratops.

Stegosaurus (I suffered two breaks in transit with these. The tail seems to be prone to breakage).

Ankylosaurus.

Trachodon.

Corythosaurus.

Brontosaurus (looking back version). This is said to be the rarest of these figures.

Tyrannosaurus.

New York World's Fair Booklet and Gas Station Premiums.

Sinclair Bagged Large Premiums.

Sinclair Gas Station Premium Money Box.

Duna

What a nice recopilation of information about Sinclair dinos!  ^-^

I got myself this set of the 1964 World Fair because I like plastic retro dinosaurs very much. The booklet is another masterpiece on its own.

Over9K

I just recently obtained my Sinclair Mold-a-rama Tyrannosaurus from an eBay seller, who had it molded at their local zoo, which features one of the machines. I paid $6 for the casting. It's missing the tip of its tail, but I love it anyway.

I come to the Sinclair Tyrannosaurus by way of the Boston Museum of Science, which in my childhood held one of the World Fair life-size Tyrannosaurus copies within its walls. These days, the Sinclair is outside, welcoming in a new generation of dinosaur freaks.

I had always wanted one of the blow-molded figures, and when this one came up at such a reasonable price, I jumped. I noticed that this same seller offers a couple of the other dinosaurs as well as modern animals, and other seller offer other castings of various subjects. I'm pretty sure one can collect a inexpensive complete set of the dinosaurs with all modern castings, rather than vintage.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I have a set of the Mold-A-Rama dinosaurs from the Field Museum, and a set of the plastic World's Fair figures. I'd like to pick up one of the complimentary bags sometime as well.

Here are my Mold-A-Rama dinosaurs-- I haven't gotten around to photographing the World's fair set yet.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Gwangi

I have the T. rex, Brontosaurus, Stegosaurus, and Triceratops from the Field Museum and I've written a review for each on the Dinosaur Toy Blog. I have a lot of love for Sinclair and that whole era of dinosaur pop culture. Eventually I'll get the rest of the Mold-A-Rama dinosaurs. They are easier to get here in the States and the Mold-A-Rama website sells some of them. I'm not sure if I'll ever track down the figures but if I ever come across them for the right price I would certainly pick them up.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Duna on June 06, 2022, 04:36:51 PMWhat a nice recopilation of information about Sinclair dinos!  ^-^

I got myself this set of the 1964 World Fair because I like plastic retro dinosaurs very much. The booklet is another masterpiece on its own.

It's a lovely vintage booklet. I have the Marx style set somewhere. They're lovely figures, I do slightly prefer them to Marx figures.

Blackdanter

I have a set of the Mold-A-Rama dinosaurs from the Field Museum, and a set of the plastic World's Fair figures. I'd like to pick up one of the complimentary bags sometime as well.

Here are my Mold-A-Rama dinosaurs-- I haven't gotten around to photographing the World's fair set yet.

Lovely set. They really do pop when freshly molded.

Blackdanter

Thanks Gwangi. I'll have a look for the reviews.

leidy

These are great. Is that blue pterosaur part of the set? It looks modern.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Blackdanter on June 06, 2022, 10:39:51 PMLovely set. They really do pop when freshly molded.

The new ones are certainly a lot more shiny. I actually prefer the matte look, myself. The originals seem to be more detailed, too.

Quote from: leidy on June 06, 2022, 11:17:16 PMThese are great. Is that blue pterosaur part of the set? It looks modern.

The quetzalcoatlus was made new for the Field Museum last year. It's based on the life-sized model that they have there.
Save Dinoland USA!

Blackdanter

I found the Sinclair larger figure (Marx sized) bagged premiums so these have been added to the original post.  ;)

Fembrogon

Wow, I had forgotten we didn't have a dedicated thread to this line yet! The closest things were a broad Vintage Figures thread and a short-lived collection thread by C @Cube.

My awareness and interest in Sinclair's dinosaur toys began last spring, when I came into possession of three figures formerly belonging to my grandparents (pictured below). As a kid, I had played with these toys countless times; but now I was curious to know what exactly these were and why they looked so much better than the other old "chinasaurs". Thanks to a couple of forum members properly identifying the toys for me, I found myself digging into the history of the Dinoland figures, as well as growing an interest in other vintage lines such as Marx and Nabisco.

I've become quite fond of these figures; there's a certain grace and naturalism to most of the sculpts that rivals or even surpasses the likes of their contemporaries. I ended up using what information I gained to review each of the six toys on the main Toy Blog, and I can now say earnestly that the Sinclairs are among my all-time favorite dinosaur toy brands. I only wish they expanded the line a little bit more!

Below is a shot of my completed original set, plus a group shot featuring all variants I've acquired, including some recasts from Dimensions For Children (DFC). Nearly all of my figures (and the booklet) had to be purchased individually or in larger toy lots. I've only been actively collecting vintage dinos for about a year, but from I've seen and been told so far, Sinclairs tend to be some of the rarer figures in the hobby (even the recasts).

I don't have any of the Mold-a-Rama models, although I had a modern copy of the T. rex for a time when I was a kid. Recently I also picked up one of the new Quetzalcoatlus models at a visit to the Field Museum; it might not be Sinclair, but given the two brands' history together I like to think of it as an honorary member of the collection.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Here's my set of Sinclair dinosaurs. I actually prefer them to Marx, they remind me of the dinosaurs in Fantasia.

Save Dinoland USA!

BrontoScorpio

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 13, 2022, 11:59:33 PMHere's my set of Sinclair dinosaurs. I actually prefer them to Marx, they remind me of the dinosaurs in Fantasia.
The 1964/65 Sinclair world's fair set is wonderful indeed .

As far as Sinclair dinos - I would also mention the Jonas Studios Resin set, done in tribute to the live models that were exhibitted at that Fair :

Blackdanter

I don't have any of the Mold-a-Rama models, although I had a modern copy of the T. rex for a time when I was a kid. Recently I also picked up one of the new Quetzalcoatlus models at a visit to the Field Museum; it might not be Sinclair, but given the two brands' history together I like to think of it as an honorary member of the collection.

[/quote]

That Quetzalcoatlus is a lovely thing. Thanks for sharing.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on June 13, 2022, 11:59:33 PMHere's my set of Sinclair dinosaurs. I actually prefer them to Marx, they remind me of the dinosaurs in Fantasia.

Thanks. They are lovely figures. I too prefer them to Marx (ever so slightly!).

Blackdanter

Quote from: BrontoScorpio on June 15, 2022, 07:11:15 AM
The 1964/65 Sinclair world's fair set is wonderful indeed .

As far as Sinclair dinos - I would also mention the Jonas Studios Resin set, done in tribute to the live models that were exhibitted at that Fair :

Not seen those before. Unfortunately, resin is a bit too breakable for my household so I tend to avoid it. They have captured the style quite nicely.

Blackdanter

I just found the Sinclair Gas Station premium money box (plastic version) so I've added it to the original post. ;O)

Over9K

The ultimate Sinclair/World's Fair dinosaur "miniatures" have to be the 1/8-1/10th scale statues. I don't know if Jonus Studios did any beyond the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex, but this one is on eBay for $8,300!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.