News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Theropods in La Amarga formation

Started by Remko, October 04, 2022, 06:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remko

Just ast the title says.

Does anyone know of large theropods in the La Amarga formation of Argentinia?
Especially around the Barremian to Aptian (Early Cretaceous epoch of around 129.4–122.46 milion years ago).

I've searched a lot of sources, but although there is many information about other dinosaurs, I can't find anything about large theropods from this age, especially those contemporary with Amargasaurus.

Closest I could find is Tyrannotitan, but that animal is from 118 million years ago (Aptian stage).
As we only have one Amargasaurus fossil, it's possible this species lived longer and was a contemporary of Tyrannotitan though. But that's stretching it by 4 million years. A longe time for a species.

Am I missing something? Or haven't we just not yet found any large theropods from that age?

A member of Megaraptora could be possible, they lived from 130 mya to 66 mya. So perfectly overlapping, but again, I haven't found any evidence of a species contemporary with Amargasaurus.

Halichoeres

I found some references to isolated, indeterminate teeth (abelisauroids, carcharodontosaurids), but the only described theropod I could find from the formation is Ligabueino.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.