News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dueling Dinosaurs Going to Museum

Started by Dynomikegojira, November 17, 2020, 02:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dynomikegojira

https://naturalsciences.org/calendar/news/north-carolina-museum-of-natural-sciences-to-receive-the-dueling-dinosaurs/

Great News the Dueling Dinosaurs fossil appear to have found a new home hopefully that means that scientists can finally study the specimens. Interesting that they refering the tyrannosaur as Tyrannosaurus Rex so that pretty much crushs that last bit of hope for the validity of Nanotyrannus advocates

Faelrin

After years of the controversy surrounding this discovery, this is a major win for science. I will eagerly anticipate a paper on these specimens in the future. I am hoping for some skin impressions from both, but more so the tyrannosaur, etc. Hopefully lots of high quality images of these two in the years to come.

Edit: Nat Geo article on this now as well:

https://api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/science/2020/11/dueling-dinosaurs-fossil-finally-set-to-reveal-secrets
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

I'm glad that it's in a museum, but I'm totally disgusted at how much money was paid to acquire it. Between this and the sale of Stan, the fossil selling racket has reached a new level of avarice. Mark my words, this will only encourage more American fossil dealers to tear fossils out of the ground with no concern whatsoever for stratigraphy, then demand obscene prices for them.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

WarrenJB

Quote from: Dynomikegojira on November 17, 2020, 02:29:22 PM
Interesting that they refering the tyrannosaur as Tyrannosaurus Rex so that pretty much crushs that last bit of hope for the validity of Nanotyrannus advocates

Probably old news around here, but Greg Paul had something to say about that.

dml.cmnh.org/2020Nov/msg00132.html

Even a noob like me can look at the photos and think 'man, that's a BIG hand'.

stargatedalek

Quote from: WarrenJB on November 23, 2020, 05:14:34 AM
Interesting that they refering the tyrannosaur as Tyrannosaurus Rex so that pretty much crushs that last bit of hope for the validity of Nanotyrannus advocates

Link isn't working.

Flaffy

Quote from: WarrenJB on November 23, 2020, 05:14:34 AM

The arms aren't that much bigger than an adult though? Proportionally bigger sure, much in the same way as younger specimens like "Jane".

andrewsaurus rex

Quote from: suspsy on November 17, 2020, 08:53:21 PMI'm glad that it's in a museum, but I'm totally disgusted at how much money was paid to acquire it. Between this and the sale of Stan, the fossil selling racket has reached a new level of avarice. Mark my words, this will only encourage more American fossil dealers to tear fossils out of the ground with no concern whatsoever for stratigraphy, then demand obscene prices for them.

I have mixed feelings about it.  I understand all the arguments against paying high prices, which only encourages more amateur and treasure seeking fossil hunting.  BUT, without them, how many fossils have and will be discovered that probably otherwise won't be?  It's certainly not an ideal situation but i think overall it's still very beneficial to the science. 

It's not a perfect world and it is never going to be.  I don't think we should let the perfect be the enemy of the good. 

Many scientists won't even look at treasure hunter fossil finds.  And i think that is a mistake.  Though not ideally collected, there is still much info that can be gleaned from those discoveries.  I for one am very glad that the Dueling Dinosaurs fossil was found.  I think it adds a lot more to the science than paying treasure seekers big bucks takes back.

We're not talking about using medical findings from death camp or russian gulag experiments here.  If paying treasure hunters high prices for fossils yields many new wonderful finds.  I'm ok with that.   

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.