News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Bandai Spirits - Ichiban-Kuji - Gathering Of Dinosaurs

Started by Blackdanter, March 03, 2023, 01:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackdanter

Ever the creative sellers, Japanese manufactures seem pretty deft at finding new ways to sell and create hype around their merchandise lines. We're all probably aware of the Gashapon and UFO Catcher Prize phenomena which have probably shifted many thousands of different figure lines by a myriad of Japanese companies. The latest in these gimmicks seem to be 'Kuji' or prize lotteries.

In essence, a manufacturer creates a new limited line which is then publicised widely, seemingly for a limited time and, at what sometimes appears to be, a limited location. Participating venues then advertise the in store (and online) lottery, a big part of which, is the limited stock element of the merchandise available. the customer will then purchase a batch of tickets which are checked in store and the relevant prizes dished out. In terms of figures, these seem to drop infrequently, most of the prizes being cheaper items such as stickers, posters, key rings etc.

Bandai have so far produced two lines of figures (as Bandai Spirit) under the 'Gathering of Dinosaurs' line which have featured in two dinosaur themed lottery events. It's not entirely clear exactly when the first of these occurred but the second wave appeared in July 2022.

The second wave of figures seems to have been something of a re-rinse with the majority (of smaller figures) being repaints of previous figures. Two large new figures (Spinosaurus and a new Tyrannosaurus sculpt) replaced the previous events large figure (Tyrannosaurus) and one new figure (Deinonychus) in the smaller line replaced a previous line figure (Velociraptor).

The sizing given in publicity material seem to be under actual figure sizes.

As far as I can establish, the first wave was as follows:

Small figures:

Peize B - Tyrannosaurus (Green) - 8cm
Prize C - Triceratops (Orange) - 8cm
Prize D - Velociraptor (Grey - 8cm)

Prize E - Stegosaurus (Green) - 8cm

Prize F - Brachiosaurus (Grey) - 8cm

Large figures:

Prize A - Standard Tyrannosaurs (Brown) - 24cm
Prize A - Last chance/Double chance Tyrannosaurus (Grey)

The second wave (released July 2022):

Small figures:

Prize C - Tyrannosaurus (Red) - 8cm

Prize D - Triceratops (Purple) - 8cm

Prize E - Deinonychus (Green) - 8cm (New Figure)

Prize F - Stegosaurus (Yellow) - 8cm

Prize G - Brachiosaurus (Grey/Cream) - 8cm

Large figures:

Prize A - Spinosaurus - Grey - 24cm

Prize B - Tyrannosaurus (New sculpt) - Green - 24cm

Prize A - Last chance/double chance - Spinosaurus - Black - 24cm

Here are the figures that I have from these lines:

CityRaptor

Yeah, those Dromaeosaurs are bad....

Lots of other JP inspirations, too. And the upright green T.rex somehow makes me think of this:

Guess it is meant to face the Spinosaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.