News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fear of Running Out of Space?

Started by Concavenator, May 08, 2022, 08:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

The last year that I lived in Phoenix it had 99 consecutive days over 100F. I much prefer Chicago where I can always put on another layer.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

I don't blame you for that preference!

SidB

Quote from: Mellow Stego on November 20, 2022, 05:30:51 AM
Quote from: SidB on November 20, 2022, 02:15:53 AM
Quote from: ceratopsian on November 19, 2022, 10:30:03 PMThank you, S @SidB! Rather more clement temperature than when I visited one June. It was around 100F!
Yikes!

Oh yeah, I live in Southern Arizona, but near some mountains so we have some good weather here. Tons of snow birds actually.

As for Phoenix that place can be unbearable during summer months. I remember going there to watch the Diamond  Backs play in a nice air conditioned stadium. The game ended around 9pm and was still over 100 degrees outside.
We knew November was a better month to land there, but we paid the price up in Flagstaff, where it hit minus 10 at night. Meanwhile, back in Toronto, it was 20 Celsius.

Halichoeres

Oof yeah, that elevation difference will get you!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

Er, getting back on topic, in recent months I have been thinking about running out of space for my figures.  I still have some space, fortunately, but I guess it will get to the point where I run out of space.  If that happens, I think I'll try to create more space for figures.

SidB

Quote from: Sim on April 02, 2023, 09:56:12 PMEr, getting back on topic, in recent months I have been thinking about running out of space for my figures.  I still have some space, fortunately, but I guess it will get to the point where I run out of space.  If that happens, I think I'll try to create more space for figures.
I've found that process to be both challenging and fun - it can be satisfying to make something out of what initially seemed to be very little at all.

Sim

Another thing that might help is getting smaller figures instead of larger ones.  My preference might shift from larger figures to smaller ones as my remaining space decreases.  I'm already quite keen for more smallish figures from BotM and Wild Past.  Although I hope the Wild Past Plateosaurus will be on the larger side!  I'm very eagerly hoping it will get funded as it's one I'd very much like to have.

I'd like PNSO to make more smaller figures too, around the size of their Pachycephalosaurus I think would be good.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I tend to just sell things as I get new pieces, makes a great way to create space and help other collectors get pieces for fair prices.

Over9K

I figure I'm using ~40%-ish of the current available shelf space in my collection room, so my collection could double in size and my current set up could handle it. I also have area to expand my shelf space by 70%/80% over the current set up. When we bought this house 6 years ago, and I chose my collection room, I laid out a plan for evolving the floor plan over time to accommodate a growing collection, and I'm just now looking at moving to phase two, of three.

KronoGarrett

Oh, yeah, storage space.  When each of my vinyl darlings takes an 18gal (~3-5m) or 31gal (5.5m-8m) tote to itself when folded up, things get crowded very quickly.  At a certain point I'll start selling off the overgrown pooltoys to make room (and free up money) for the next set of designs.

Zoids and various figures are the same way but on a smaller scale.  Never quite enough shelf space.

(If you're curious, some of the upcoming things include an inostrancevia, smilodon, more marine reptiles, and a dunkleosteus.  Probably should maintain a thread about my not-so-little experiments.)

Eatmycar

God, yes I have this fear. 1/18 is nice for human figures, but for dinosaurs its a nightmare. I'm trying to rotate out things on display, and I'm definitely trying to be more discriminating with my purchases. That said... it's a golden age for this stuff so it's challenging.

It's funny, in retrospect I think I have too many BoTM ceratopsians, but I can't see myself getting rid of them. I can easily justify them (and want a few more...) because they're so fun to pose and manipulate, but they are definitely a space sucker!

Sim

I would like to add that I have been keeping PNSO's boxes too, partly because I think if I ever need to pack my PNSO figures away the boxes contain good packaging, partly also because they contain the posters/leaflets which I'll never need to use but I can't bring myself to get rid of them...

Fortunately, the PNSO boxes occupy space that I wouldn't use for figures.  On the other hand, that space is also running out so after a while I'll run out of room for boxes too if PNSO keeps releasing figures I like.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.