News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

My childhood fossil collection

Started by DinoToyForum, June 16, 2023, 06:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Today I posted the following on Mastodon and thought it might be of interest here as well.

"Little wonder I became a curator...

While most other 14-year-olds were outside kicking a ball around, I was inside writing labels for my fossil collection. You know, on my own, for *fun*. 🤓

Here's my childhood fossil collection 'cabinet' today with some examples of the contents and labels.

I credit my mum and dad for fostering this passion and especially my dad for taking me fossil hunting around the UK."

If anyone here's interested I can take more photos of this collection. I found everything myself. :)

Crackington

Wow! Looks like the young Dr Admin gathered quite a collection there! The trilobite at Number 1, I'd like to see more of that please.

Nice for you to give a shout out to your Dad too. Just got back from Dad taxi-ing my girls to their music lesson, so hopefully they'll appreciate all this too when they look back in the future. It's wonderful to see your children's interests blossom.

Faelrin

Man I'm a little envious. Great collection, and good that you had the opportunity to do such when you were younger, especially supportive parents. Just from that selective I think the ammonite is reallly eye catching. I'm sure all are great finds though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

So great that your parents facilitated your hobby and eventual career. The only fossil I had as a kid was a tiny trilobite (probably Elrathia?), although I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea what became of it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

Thanks for sharing! It's fantastic that your parents were so supportive of your passion, and look where it got you! My own weren't really supportive or unsupportive, just kind of indifferent which had its pros and cons. Lucky that you grew up in such a fossil rich location too. I have my own collection of childhood fossils, mostly Devonian in age. I never made a cabinet or labels for them though, I wish I had.

Libraraptor

Thanks for sharing, I would really like to see more of it.  ^-^

Blackdanter

I was very similar in that respect but I now restrict my fossil collecting to my local area which means I acquire less but it's far more satisfying when I do find something nice,

Here's a Hybodus sp fin spine I found last week, only the second complete one in twenty years of fossiling locally.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.