News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Large ammonite models

Started by DinoToyForum, September 29, 2023, 12:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

Does anyone know where I could purchase a large fleshed out large (Say, 50cm shell diameter or larger) life size ammonite model off the shelf (i.e not commission a new model)?  I know there are a lot of Chinese companies that sell large theme-park-style prehistoric animals but I can't seem to find one that make an ammonite. Or, maybe an established paleoartist has made such an ammonite sculpture before and has moulds to make another on demand. Accuracy isn't a high priority, I just want to get an idea of options.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 29, 2023, 09:19:38 PMThis alleged 'nautilus' is much smaller but might be useful if you can't find anything more suitable. https://www.sideshow.com/collectibles/pre-historic-creatures-nautilus-miniature-frame-fossil-deluxe-star-ace-toys-ltd-912218

Thanks. I already have some excellent ammonites in that size range from Paleozoo. I want some extra large Titanites-like ones above a display case to supplement the smaller ones inside the case. The trouble with 3D prints is there's a size limit depending on the printer, although I've asked avatar_Paleozoo @Paleozoo if it might be possible to print one in sections and piece them together.

I came across this one but it's way too big (as well as not being very accurate):
https://www.mcsdino.com/products/giant-statue-ammonites-model-for-sale-bfa001

postsaurischian

This is the one from the Hauff Museum in Holzmaden, but it's too big as well :) .

DinoToyForum

Thanks! Yeah, ammonite models seem to be either small or massive! Something like that's what I'm looking for, just approximately 1/3 that size.

What's that rectangle notch in the base?

crazy8wizard

I know it isn't what you're looking for but stull thought you'd enjoy:
The museum I work at has a life-size model of Baculites

Unfortunately it has suffered a beating over the last 3 decades as kids keep pulling the arms off of it. Maybe I should sculpt new ones.

postsaurischian

Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 30, 2023, 11:21:52 AMThanks! Yeah, ammonite models seem to be either small or massive! Something like that's what I'm looking for, just approximately 1/3 that size.

What's that rectangle notch in the base?

I have no idea. There are even two of them ??? .

DinoToyForum

They might be slots for some kind of pallet truck or forklift truck.

Halichoeres

Quote from: DinoToyForum on September 30, 2023, 11:09:10 PMThey might be slots for some kind of pallet truck or forklift truck.

Yep, that's what that looks like to me, too.

These might also be too small, but Kamyk makes a couple of life-size ammonites (albeit smaller taxa, more in the 20-30 cm range):

Not sure if those image links will work, but you can find them all here:
http://kamyk.pl/models/models-kreda.php (Cretaceous models)
http://kamyk.pl/models/models-jura.php (Jurassic models)
They also do commissions, but that would obviously be more expensive.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DinoToyForum

Thanks, I hadn't heard of that place before. Bookmarked for the future. But I think the ammonites will be too small.

avatar_Paleozoo @Paleozoo has said he can print up to 25cm diameter ammonite shells, which might be just about big enough. I need mock up the display (cardboard cutouts) to see how they will look in the space. At a distance even a dinner plate sized creature can look tiny.