News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO Paint Changes?

Started by allimancer, October 18, 2023, 10:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allimancer

Hey all. This is my first real post, so I hope I'm doing this right.

I received a PNSO Pachyrhinosaurus (Brian) today, and while the sculpt is everything I expected, the paint seems different from what I see in review images. The nasal boss and facial keratin are much less bright, and there's barely any countershading or variation on the body, leaving it looking rather washed-out. It's still a gorgeous figure, but I was really looking forward to that striking display color and the various shades of brown and yellow on the body.

My model:

Images online:

Does PNSO typically do a second run with worse paint, or did I just get unlucky? Also, does anyone have any tips for editing (rather than fully repainting) the paint on a figure without risk of it flaking off?

Halichoeres

That definitely looks like they've been skimping on the paint. That's pretty common with figures that have been in production for a while--Safari and Papo are infamous for it. Later production runs of the first Spinosaurus also had simplified paint. I'm sure there are other examples, but the Spinosaurus is the starkest one I can call to mind.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

It's a strong reason to get new releases before a second or third run proves a bit disappointing in this regard.

Flaffy

Quote from: allimancer on October 18, 2023, 10:16:41 PMDoes PNSO typically do a second run with worse paint, or did I just get unlucky?

Yeah, it's well known round these parts that subsequent runs of PNSO figures are almost guarenteed to have worse paint than the first. Sad to see Pachyrhinosaurus fall victim to this trend too.

Quiversaurus

Oh wow that Pachy does look quite lighter coloured than earlier reviews I've watched. It still is gorgeous though like you've mentioned avatar_allimancer @allimancer .

For paint I would recommend a matte sealer/top coat. It sits atop your paint and protects it from flakes/chips. I've used this one before on my Papo Allosaurus: https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product2/category_11/269.html, result was pretty solid.

Also, has anyone bought the PNSO Allosaurus recently? If so could you send some pics of it? I am considering getting it but am wondering if the paint has also changed...

allimancer

Quote from: Quiversaurus on October 19, 2023, 01:43:49 AMFor paint I would recommend a matte sealer/top coat. It sits atop your paint and protects it from flakes/chips. I've used this one before on my Papo Allosaurus: https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product2/category_11/269.html, result was pretty solid.

Thanks for the rec. I have some Krylon Matte Sealer on hand from some cosplay work -- do you think it would work as a substitute?

Bread

Quote from: allimancer on October 19, 2023, 02:12:47 PM
Quote from: Quiversaurus on October 19, 2023, 01:43:49 AMFor paint I would recommend a matte sealer/top coat. It sits atop your paint and protects it from flakes/chips. I've used this one before on my Papo Allosaurus: https://www.mr-hobby.com/en/product2/category_11/269.html, result was pretty solid.

Thanks for the rec. I have some Krylon Matte Sealer on hand from some cosplay work -- do you think it would work as a substitute?
The one thing about Krylon Matte Sealer from what I have experienced with is that eventually it turns shiny.

I prefer Mr Hobby Matte Spray. Smaller, little more expensive but I find it to be worth it.

Quiversaurus

Agreed with avatar_Bread @Bread . I was also advised to warm the Mr Super Clear before using it - place it in a shallow dish of hot-warm water for about 5 minutes before spraying to avoid clumping. Used the coat with no issue, and the coat still looks good now after about a year and a half.

SRF

The Pachyrhinosaurus has been that way for a while now. I've purchased mine more than a year ago and that one has the same paintjob as yours avatar_allimancer @allimancer. It's not the only release from PNSO that has gotten this treatment either.
But today, I'm just being father

Halichoeres

Still not as bad as the Safari Feathered Dinos Toob downgrade!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

allimancer

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 20, 2023, 02:26:27 AMStill not as bad as the Safari Feathered Dinos Toob downgrade!

Yes! I ordered that Toob a while ago for some dino-themed mini terrariums and ended up painting them myself because they all looked so naked.

allimancer

After 2 months of procrastination, I have edited his paint to be a little closer to my expectations!

Before:

After:

ceratopsian

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.