You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Trying to find an obscure dinosaur figure/doll from childhood

Started by MattWileyto, July 06, 2024, 03:45:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattWileyto

When I was little (around the early 2000s), there was some Baryonyx or other sail-less spinosaur figure. It had plastic skin, and was "stuffed" with foam or something. It may have had a wire armature. The plastic skin was bumpy in texture, and greyish in color (lighter-colored underbelly, maybe with black going down its back).

I've been trying to look it up, but I am unable to find anything like it. It may have had something to do with Jurassic Park 3, but I'm not sure. Every time I try to look it up while referencing Baryonyx or Jurassic Park, I find the typical action figures, but nothing remotely like this. Does anyone know what this was? Thanks!

EmperorDinobot

JP3 Poseable Raptor can be found on ebay, and the prices tend to fluctuate a bit.

Torvosaurus

I don't know why, but that one reminds me of the dinocroc in the Sci-Fi Channel's movie of the same name, lol.

Torvo

crazy8wizard

This probably isn't it, but what the description reminds me of are these big, rubber squishy figures made for Disney's Animal Kingdom's Dinoland USA. It isn't a spinosaur, it's an Alioramus but it does have bumpy plasticy skin, soft stuffing inside, and if I remember correctly, a wire in the legs and tail.

Again, probably not exactly it, but that's what it reminded me of.

Halichoeres

The Alioramus that avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard posted is the first thing I thought of given the description.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

BlueKrono

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 06, 2024, 06:03:25 PM

Photo of the Suspect

1997 Imperial

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1596323618/1997-imperial-85-rubber-dinosaur-figure

It doesn't answer the original question, but this one is on eBay right now for an affordable price. Item description "1997 HTF Mystery  Imperial dinosaur model".
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

MattWileyto

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 06, 2024, 06:03:25 PM

It's interesting--the outline and coloration is very similar. Mouth was open, though. The Alioramus seems familiar in terms of material. Again, the skin was bumpy--maybe "warty" or "goosebumped" are better descriptions. I suspected it being a Jurassic Park 3 figure, as its face was reminiscent of the Spinosaurus from JP3. I recall it being contemporary with that film, as well as Disney's Dinosaur, and I do recall it being contemporary with the soft vinyl velociraptor.

Shane

Was this a fairly large figure (like plush/stuffed animal size)? I vaguely recall something similar I encountered, I believe it was at the Baltimore Aquarium many years ago. I think it was marketed as Suchomimus. But can't be 100%.

MattWileyto

Quote from: Shane on July 08, 2024, 04:01:50 PMWas this a fairly large figure (like plush/stuffed animal size)? I vaguely recall something similar I encountered, I believe it was at the Baltimore Aquarium many years ago. I think it was marketed as Suchomimus. But can't be 100%.

Yes, this is coming back to me! I recall Baltimore-- and it was a fairly large figure.

Shane

Quote from: MattWileyto on July 08, 2024, 05:52:56 PM
Quote from: Shane on July 08, 2024, 04:01:50 PMWas this a fairly large figure (like plush/stuffed animal size)? I vaguely recall something similar I encountered, I believe it was at the Baltimore Aquarium many years ago. I think it was marketed as Suchomimus. But can't be 100%.

Yes, this is coming back to me! I recall Baltimore-- and it was a fairly large figure.

Sorry I can't provide more info beyond my hazy memory. I just remember it being in a basket with other large rubbery dinos, and specifically marketed as Suchomimus. Google isn't much help, unfortunately.

MattWileyto

Quote from: Shane on July 08, 2024, 07:01:12 PM
Quote from: MattWileyto on July 08, 2024, 05:52:56 PM

Sorry I can't provide more info beyond my hazy memory. I just remember it being in a basket with other large rubbery dinos, and specifically marketed as Suchomimus. Google isn't much help, unfortunately.

It's okay! Thank you for informing me about what you did know! This seems like an incredibly obscure figure--even more obscure than I initially thought.

Personally, I don't recall the aquarium having them per say, but maybe the Harborplace mall. Additionally, there is the Maryland Science Center, which displays dinosaurs. Maybe all three of those places had these figures. Again, thank you for this information! I might investigate further by going to these places.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.