News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Custom Bandai Velociraptor

Started by JimoAi, September 28, 2024, 03:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimoAi

Descuded to sculpt a tail fan for my Bandai Velociraptor which I'm using as Adasaurus due to the figure size. Unfortunatly I won't be recording the sickle claw but IG the tail fan suffices. It's my first time sculpting feathers so it looked rough unpainted and decided to only do the tip of the tail. I've used Tamiya epoxy putty for the sculpt and acrylic for the painting. Went with grey for the tips, similar to the wings, a white mid section and yellow, white and black for the false eye.

Torvosaurus

Looks good. I'm no good at sculpting.  I would suggest a light wash of a lighter brown over the added tail feathers, possibly followed with a dry brush of the original colors. This will provide more depth to the added tail feathers and make it seem like they are part of the original model and not just an add-on.

Torvo

JimoAi

Quote from: Torvosaurus on September 28, 2024, 08:06:07 PMLooks good. I'm no good at sculpting.  I would suggest a light wash of a lighter brown over the added tail feathers, possibly followed with a dry brush of the original colors. This will provide more depth to the added tail feathers and make it seem like they are part of the original model and not just an add-on.

Torvo

TBH i'ld rather keep the tail fan as striking as possible plus I'm not familiar with dry brushing

crazy8wizard

Quote from: JimoAi on September 29, 2024, 02:51:52 AMI'm not familiar with dry brushing

It's very self explanatory. Put a dab of paint in a dry brush (as little as possible) and then brush the item.

Torvosaurus

With dry-brushing you just touch up the outer surfaces of the sculpt, so that any washes stay in the recesses. The amount of paint can be made even less by wiping it on a paper towel or rag, so that lighter colors can be used and less and less paint is left on the model with each layer of dry-brushing. Layers beyond the first layer of dry-brushing is usually done with even lighter shades of paints (i.e. red, followed by light red, followed by pink, etc.). It is quite effective for making a model "pop" with color.

Seriously, it looks quite good. I was just giving you some ideas. If you don't feel comfortable with what I suggested, please leave it the way it is. There is nothing wrong with it at all.

Torvo

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.