You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Should I worry about paint scuffs?

Started by Pachyallosaurus, April 19, 2017, 09:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyallosaurus

I like to do photography with my models, and I usually take quite a few with me at a time. But I don't have the best ways of traveling with them, so they end up scuffing each other in the bag or what not. I ask because I'm afraid that the paint scuffs will hurt their collectibility (even though I don't plan on selling them). for example, my carnegie deinonychus. 2 out of the three on the base have scuffs that reveal a charcoal gray vinyl underneath. Should I be concerned about that? Even my safari shunosaurus has scuffs and paint wear.   :(  Please let me know. I would show pictures but I don't know how to upload them properly.

Lanthanotus

To post images upload them to a picture server of your choice (imgur, directupload, photobucket etc.) and post the link as follows (without spaces):

[ url = http :// address of image server ] [ img ] http:// address of actual image [ /img ] [ /url ]

To your question...
I think that's a thing you only can answer for yourself. Paint scuffs definetly lower the chance and/or price for reselling figures, however that also depends a lot on the rarity of figures, some rare ones even sell well if in poor condition - after all, we are talking toys here. Personally I worry about paint scuffs, but only to a certain extend or for certain figures. For example, my three year old son likes to play with the dinosaur figures and while he got his own he frequently borrows some which I happily give him, being aware that they might get scratches. Some figures/brands are more likely to get paint rubs than others, on Bullylands for example paint rubs off quite easily, Schleichs or CollectAs can usually stand a lot of rough handling. I also may repair figures if I deem that necessary and If I transport some for photographing outdoors for example, I pack them individually in soft towels.

Neosodon

I can't stand paint scuffs on my models. I'll try and patch them up with modeling paint or permanent marker but it never holds to well. I keep my models in a crate and they do just fine. As long as you handle what ever their in carefully you shouldn't have a problem with scratches. Most of the scratches I get are from before I buy them or just dropping them.

If your models scratch just from being in a bag then they just have cheap paint jobs.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Pachyrhinosaurus

It's really up to you. Some people think paint wear gives their figures character, but it bothers me when I see that my own figures are damaged. In a few cases I've bought figures again if they're too bad.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

BlueKrono

As someone who isn't as concerned about collectibility either I don't mind them so much on my own figures. Oftentimes they are the product of copious play from when I was a kid. However, if I broke a horn or tail off I'll usually have bought another one as an adult. If I'm buying a new figure from the store I will usually choose a non-scuffed one over a scuffed one of course.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

RobinGoodfellow

From a collector's point of view, I could buy only mint or near mint figures.
And in my collection I have only mint or near mint models.
The only exception could be a super-rare figure I can't find elsewhere.
But I don't like to see scuffs on figures in my collection..  ???

sauroid

minor scuffs are okay, even brand new/mint ones sometimes have minor rubs. if you want your figures to be in perfect immaculate pristine condition, only handle them with light material gloves and with tools specifically designed to handle "delicate" things.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

ceratopsian

I try to keep scuffs to the minimum.  As others have said, sometimes models come with the odd flaw.  And some take unplanned nosedives if they have stability issues.  But overall I'm careful.  It's not just a matter of "will they lose value if they get marked", it's also a matter of aesthetics for me.

terrorchicken

I dont like scuffs, but I tend to be clumsy sometimes with my hands and a few of my figs are victims of falls were they fall hard on their nose or tails/legs and end up getting rubs there, my poor Safari prehistoric mammals are especially bad as I had them back when i was less careful with my figures.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.