News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Hi! Newbie here!

Started by japfeif, May 27, 2013, 05:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

japfeif

Hi all! I just joined this site and wanted to say hello. I am currently a vertebrate biologist working in a southern US zoo and have always had an interest in dinosaurs. My background is herpetology so I guess that isn't really surprising. I have been a serious collector of Marx and MPC prehistoric figures and playsets, and am currently in the final finishing stages of writing a fully color illustrated book on the dinosaur sets of Marx and MPC, as well many of the knock-off/replica sets that specifically used the original Marx/ MPC molds for their figures (Superior, Dapol, SDC, Toy Street, etc.). This had been a long, lengthy project but I am way excited about it, as there is currently no single reference work dedicated to these sets specifically, especially with color photos of each set (at least, all I could get my hands on thru a dozen years of collecting! Lol!
I will give updates on its progress from time to time if anyone is interested, and look forward to meeting some folks here and swapping ideas, pics, info, and opinions!

RockyMountainRex

Hello and welcome!  Your book project sounds like something you have put a lot of work into, looking forward to hearing about when it is finished!   ^-^
Rawr!

DinoToyForum

Welcome to the forum!  8)

amargasaurus cazaui

Welcome to the forum ! Does this mean you might field a few questions about the MPC playset for my own edification? I would appreciate any guidance .
Am glad to have a fellow playset collector aboard . Enjoy the forum
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Jetoar

Welcome to the forum new friend  ^-^!
[Off Nick and Eddie's reactions to the dinosaurs] Oh yeah "Ooh, aah", that's how it always starts. But then there's running and screaming.

{about the T-Rex) When he sees us with his kid isn't he gonna be like "you"!?

My website: Paleo-Creatures
My website's facebook: Paleo-Creatures

stoneage

:)  Hey let me know when the book comes out.  I have several sets and some information but it sounds like you've got more.  I'd love to see the photos of all those sets.

japfeif

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on May 27, 2013, 06:21:08 PM
Welcome to the forum ! Does this mean you might field a few questions about the MPC playset for my own edification? I would appreciate any guidance .
Am glad to have a fellow playset collector aboard . Enjoy the forum
Absolutely, if I can!  In the realm of MPC prehistorics, I've found there is much more NOT known than IS known! But I'd be happy to try & answer any questions! :-)

japfeif

Quote from: stoneage on May 31, 2013, 12:42:29 AM
:)  Hey let me know when the book comes out.  I have several sets and some information but it sounds like you've got more.  I'd love to see the photos of all those sets.
Hmm...I'd love to post some pics but not sure how. I imagine it has something to do with the "insert images" button in the row above but I am not sure what to put between the two commands. All my pics are on my computer and I tried just inserting their locations on my comp but that obviously wasn't how it's done! I ran into this same issue on another forum.

So any help here appreciated!  :-)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: japfeif on September 22, 2013, 07:00:12 AM
Quote from: stoneage on May 31, 2013, 12:42:29 AM
Hmm...I'd love to post some pics but not sure how. I imagine it has something to do with the "insert images" button in the row above but I am not sure what to put between the two commands. All my pics are on my computer and I tried just inserting their locations on my comp but that obviously wasn't how it's done! I ran into this same issue on another forum.

So any help here appreciated!  :-)

Instructions how to post images are here :)
http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,173.0.html