News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

"Resting " sauropods

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, December 07, 2017, 06:05:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

No not dead ones or RIP long necks lol   

I'm looking for ideas on the probability of sauropods sitting or laying down, what position is most likely that sort of thing, specifically in regard to adult brachiosaurs.     I started a 1:1 Brachiosaurus head this past Spring with designs on constructing a full body at some point.  Examining the problem for almost a year I fear the most awesome thing about this project is likely to be it's undoing.  namely the height and the equipment/funds/personnel needed to achieve it.   So I'm gathering info and considering other options.   

Joey

I've seen this reconstruction a couple times before, I'd say it's kind of plausible

This one's also similar

stargatedalek

A truly lying sauropod probably would have looked dead is the only problem I'm foreseeing with the idea. You'd need to come up with some way to make it very visibly alive and healthy (which shouldn't be too hard given what we've all seen you pull off in the past).

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah that last image, the one in front does look quite dead.  Most pics I've seen they just really uncomfortable and not at all natural in appearance.  I could just do another head/partial neck looking over a wall but..well that has big illusion problems with so large an animal.

maybe a mud bath?  lol

tyrantqueen

This reminds me of the Psittacosaurus from the NHM

Maybe you can put some sort of animatronic (dunno if that's the right word) in the animal's chest to make it rise and fall? People won't think it's dead then.

Bowhead Whale

Maybe sauropods were like giraffes or horses and could sleep upright. Horses and giraffes don't lye down every time they have to sleep. Maybe sauropods were like that too. What do you think?

Loon

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 07, 2017, 05:50:33 PM
Maybe you can put some sort of animatronic (dunno if that's the right word) in the animal's chest to make it rise and fall? People won't think it's dead then.
I like Tyrantqueen's idea, some kind of breathing affect would be good. I don't know what kind of settup would be usable, a pump mayhaps? If the sauropod is laying on its side, maybe some kind of rubber skin on the belly/ribs regions? I don't know, but having just gone to Disneyland, I would say avoid just having the animal lay on its side, it really does make for a very dead look.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 07, 2017, 05:50:33 PM
This reminds me of the Psittacosaurus from the NHM

That is so cute!

Staying on topic, the breathing effect is a good idea, but it doesn't have to be necessarily laying down completely or sleeping right? It can be resting but with with it's head a bit raised, looking at it's surroundings. This can be hard to figure out, sauropods rarely are portraying doing something else besides walking or eating.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Really appreciate the feedback guys/gals!  Hmm... a breathing effect while not impossible, would be very difficult with how we build them.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDQkACloq4&t=27s

On an adult brachiosaurus that's a HUGE motor. 

Exactly my problem Jose_S.M.  , what pose would look good but also make sense/work within reason?

Brocc21

I always like the idea of sauropods sleeping standing up. Your wandering through the Jurassic jungle and come to a clearing and see giant creatures standing like statues.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

IrritatorRaji

Honestly don't know much about this, but would a Sauropod actually be able to lay on its side? Would the weight of its organs not crush it, kinda like horses? I kinda like Brocc21's idea of them sleeping whilst standing.

Sucho-Matty-mus

Me personally would assume that if a Sauropod was to be resting on the ground, it would be similar to how Rino's do, but with their heads and neck still upright like a Giraffe when they are resting.

ceratopsian

By the way, horses can and do sleep lying on their sides in the normal way of things. There is however a time limit on how long a horse can stay down. I'm not sure when the danger point is reached in terms of hours or minutes. But my pony enjoys being fully flaked out after a hard night in the field!

postsaurischian

I'm loving the Dinone Studio Chuanjiesaurus, originally posted by acro-man.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 15, 2018, 10:36:30 PM
By the way, horses can and do sleep lying on their sides in the normal way of things. There is however a time limit on how long a horse can stay down. I'm not sure when the danger point is reached in terms of hours or minutes. But my pony enjoys being fully flaked out after a hard night in the field!

Typically the horses I've worked with never stay down more than 3 or 4 hours, but usually I see them do half hour bursts of REM sleep. That being said I've only ever worked around drafts (big ol' Belgians) or horses around 18 hands, so yeah, I guess since ponies are lighter they can stay down longer :D But I was just thinking that since horses, which weigh far less than 10% of a large sauropods weight, can't lay down without the threat of crushing their own organs then I couldn't imagine a sauropod pulling it off. Maybe lying down on their stomachs, but definitely not on their sides.

amargasaurus cazaui

what if they slept standing in water....
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ceratopsian

I wouldn't expect my pony to be down any longer than that either, and she tends to shift from flaked out on her side to lying on her stomach and then maybe back again to stretched out. 

I just wanted to be sure that non-horsey people here didn't get worried as the result of our conversation if they saw a horse lying flat out in a field! :)

I too have great difficulty imagining a fully grown large sauropod lying down on its side.  The weight on their organs would indeed be tremendous.   Surely it would be difficult to get its legs back under it too in order to stand up.   Plus there's the whole issue of organising the length of its neck in the upwards movement.

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 16, 2018, 11:46:24 AM
Typically the horses I've worked with never stay down more than 3 or 4 hours, but usually I see them do half hour bursts of REM sleep. That being said I've only ever worked around drafts (big ol' Belgians) or horses around 18 hands, so yeah, I guess since ponies are lighter they can stay down longer :D But I was just thinking that since horses, which weigh far less than 10% of a large sauropods weight, can't lay down without the threat of crushing their own organs then I couldn't imagine a sauropod pulling it off. Maybe lying down on their stomachs, but definitely not on their sides.

Neosodon

What about elephants? Do they spend much time lying down. And if so, in what position?

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

IrritatorRaji

Elephants sleep standing up but, every few days (3 or 4, depends on which study you read), they sleep on their sides and engage in REM sleep. I think they only sleep for a few hours every night, and I'm not entirely sure how long their REM sleep lasts.

EDIT: Also, and again this depends on which studies you read, Elephants have been observed to sleep every few days, Matriarchs typically going long stretches without any sleep

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.