News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

When is a figure 'yours'

Started by DinoLord, August 31, 2014, 03:56:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoLord

Trivial question here - when do you guys consider a figure to be under your possession: as soon as you purchase it online or when it gets to you in person? Personally I view it as the latter though it seems some members think the former. Thought I'd gauge what people think.

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: DinoLord on August 31, 2014, 03:56:37 AM
Trivial question here - when do you guys consider a figure to be under your possession: as soon as you purchase it online or when it gets to you in person? Personally I view it as the latter though it seems some members think the former. Thought I'd gauge what people think.
Think you have to have it in hand to state under your possession. It may be your property once you purchase it, but to be under your possession means in hand.Further you may buy it online , but until it gets to you it could be lost or returned to the original owner, either way mooting your ownership.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

tyrantqueen

I consider it "mine" when I've paid for it. True, I don't currently have it in my hands, but that's only due to the nature of online purchasing. If I was buying from a store, once I have paid for an item I can walk away with it.

DinoToyForum

Once it's in my hands, like Amargasaurus says. It's really, really mine once it is on display on my shelf!

stargatedalek

I consider an item to be "mine" after payment, but I don't consider it "in my possession" unless I actually have it

docronnie

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Paleogene Pals

When you pay for it, it is yours. You don't go to a store, pay for an item, and then the store takes it back immediately afterwards. Online stores are no different.

Libraraptor

Virtually after payment, in truth as soon as I hold it in my hands. Nothing replaces the real feel of a new figure you hold in your hands and put on the shelf.

postsaurischian

Sometimes lately I catch myself asking: "Whose figures will they be after I'm gone?" ..... :-\ :-X.

Paleogene Pals

Considering I go through regenerations and am still on my first incarnation, they will still be mine! They display nicely in my TARDIS. Ultimately, I would like to donate them to my local natural history museum.

DinoLord

Helge what a morbid thought.  :-\

Paleogene Pals - that's actually not a bad idea. Of course everything would have to prearranged with whatever institution you chose, but it could work nicely.

Personally I aim to create a catalogue of my whole collection with brief notes and approximate values so that future relatives could sell them off if they  choose - I imagine certain figures (Kaiyodos, Sideshow, etc.) will have appreciated greatly in value by then.

amargasaurus cazaui

I think you guys have wandered into a great topic for a seperate thread...where do they go when I am extinct? I know that I have told my family I want my psittacosaurus skeleton and all supporting models donated to a museum where it can be displayed and enjoyed...however I told them if something happens to me, to come into the forum here and sell the rest !!!! Good luck with the bidding when I am gone.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Paleogene Pals

I am actually thinking about it right now. The museum in my town is small and very underfunded. Yet, South Dakota has a rich variety of fossils. And, I live near the heart of the Western Interior Seaway. I was thinking of building an exhibit on the Western Interior Seaway for them using some of my collection and building the rest out of scratch. Some of my collection would be on 'loan' to the museum, probably on a more or less permanent basis. They could serve a very useful purpose in educational outreach.

I am also looking for ideas on creating realistic sound and light effects for being in an ocean and creating a good seafloor bottom. But that is probably another topic...

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.