News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Practical Uses of Dinosaur Knowledge in Daily Life

Started by docronnie, October 01, 2014, 03:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

docronnie

I was just wondering as to what are the practical uses of having dinosaur knowledge in our daily life, specially those who are not in the field of Paleontology.

If you have knowledge of Medicine, you can use it to treat people on a daily basis. If you have knowledge of Magic (magic tricks etc.), you can entertain people, clients, customers and friends.

So in the case of having dinosaur knowledge, what are its practical uses in daily life?

Thanks in advance! :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

stargatedalek

average day
-making people hate you
-making people feel awkward
-making people feel stupid

lucky day
-you might manage to teach someone something
-as a result maybe a few less people will take Jurassic Park as accurate
-entertaining someone if you are really lucky

just based on my experience xD
totally worth it though

Paleogene Pals

Whenever I do an outreach program, it is always about dinos, instant hit with the kids. Plus, I get to be that guy who keeps saying chickens are dinosaurs.

SBell

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 01, 2014, 11:36:05 AM
average day
-making people hate you
-making people feel awkward
-making people feel stupid

lucky day
-you might manage to teach someone something
-as a result maybe a few less people will take Jurassic Park as accurate
-entertaining someone if you are really lucky

just based on my experience xD
totally worth it though

If those occur on an average day then blaming dinosaur knowledge may not be the issue. I never had any particular problem with my interests and the people around me.

As for practical daily purpose--why? Do what you do. Enjoy it.

stargatedalek

well its not such a popular topic, so trying to bring it up typically just seems like "knowledge loitering"

Paleogene Pals

My grandparents used to get on me as a kid because I worked dinosaurs into every conversation. Someone would say, "It's a hot day", and I would respond, "Not hot enough for a brontosaur." Everyone figured I would never outgrow it. They were right!

docronnie

Quote from: Paleogene Pals on October 01, 2014, 01:57:53 PM
Whenever I do an outreach program, it is always about dinos, instant hit with the kids. Plus, I get to be that guy who keeps saying chickens are dinosaurs.

When you do this outreach programs, do you bring some of the dinosaur figures? This seems to be very interesting, since in my experience, kids really love dinosaurs.

In my case, it is an ice breaker among parents. The conversation usually opens with what our chidren's interests are,  and since my daughter got me into dinos, I enthusiastically open the topic.  And I found out that most of their children are into dinos too. What a coincidence, but they are not as knowledgeable as me though. So they become interested and ask questions.

Ultimatedinoking

I have helped with correcting common scientific mistakes on a transformer forum, but I haven't done it in a while because last time I was "suggesting of ignorance" 😒
I may not like feathered dinosaurs and stumpy legged Spinosaurs, but I will keep those opinions to myself, I will not start a debate over it, I promise. 😇
-UDK

Paleogene Pals

I bring my model kits for display and discussion. I have Collecta, Papo, and Schleich dino figures for the kids to play with. I should post pictures of my last booth. I'm usually swamped with children, and everything is always chaotic. One kid even started burying some of  the fossils for an impromptu fossil dig.

docronnie

Very interesting, Pal! Gives me an idea where to use it, but I still have to make a concept. Thanks! 😊