News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Pnso triceratops vs Dolly

Started by Dino Scream3232, May 08, 2017, 01:56:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino Scream3232

Thinking of getting one of the pnso triceratops. Does anybody have Dolly and the regular release and how do they compare? I'm leaning towards dolly due to the articulated jaw which is rare on a herbivore model.

Flaffy

If you don't mind the gnarly darkened colouration around the eye, Dolly is for you.

ceratopsian

I'm afraid I don't have "Dolly" yet - I don't think you will find many people who do, because of the release date.  However, on the basis of the T. rex in the same series, I expect I'll prefer it to PNSO's earlier Triceratops model (which I like very much, by the way).

tanystropheus

Disregarding preference for scale, I would say that I really admire the PNSO Triceratops.

Simon

1/35 Triceratops "DOYLE" is technically more accurate than the large hollow PNSO Triceratops, but that's quibbling about details. 

Both are gorgeously accurate sculpts, both have that lifelike "dancing" look that Zhao puts into all of his 4-legged sculpts (jury still out on the theropods in this regard since TRex "WILSON" is pretty tame pose-wise, undoubtedly due to the problem of balancing a 2-legged critter to remain standing ...

Shonisaurus

From what I read in the forum the triceratops PNSO dubbed "Dolly" is the best triceratops made and is even more beautiful having it physically.  8)

If that's true PNSO will remove the best company scepter from toy dinosaurs to Safari and Collecta for example.  :)

What I do not like is that it has articulated jaws. You know the members of the forum that I am not in favor of figures of dinosaurs or other prehistoric animals with articulated pieces, but in any case it is a good sculpture for what I have read. The downside is the price which is very high, even higher than Rebor.

Simon

The name of the Triceratops is "DOYLE", not 'Dolly'.  That was an error that we discovered with the first member who actually got the box.

The FIRST THING I did when I got "Doyle" was to CLOSE HIS MOUTH. 

I am in agreement with Shonisaurus.  The articulation for the mouth sucks because although the teeth and interior of the mouth is lovely and accurate, it forces the jaw to have a wide opening all the way up the jaw instead of cheeks.  Of course we don't know which was correct in life, but I go with the cheeks.  The other restoration just doesn't look appealing.

Simon

I will just add that, looking at it on my desk for the past week, PNSO's Triceratops "Doyle" has become my favorite dinosaur figure.  There is just something irresistably lifelike about its trotting pose. I feel the same way about the Chunkingosaurus, but I like "Doyle" just a tad more.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.