You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Oldest known trackways produced by bilaterian animals with paired appendages

Started by ImADinosaurRARR, June 07, 2018, 06:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImADinosaurRARR

Open access paper: http://advances.sciencemag.org/content/4/6/eaao6691.full

The image above shows trackways from the Ediacaran. The animal that made these appears to have 4 to 5 pairs of legs and a 1.38 cm width. These tracks are 551 to 541 million years old, so were right before the Cambrian explosion.

TW1 appears to enter UB1 and TW2 also appears to enter UB3, with TW2 walking over another burrow, showing that these tracks were on the surface and not somehow underground.

Probably doesn't interest most of you, but I'm been in an Ediacaran mood lately and it's great to have something vaigely recognizable from that period. 

ceratopsian

Quote from: ImADinosaurRARR on June 07, 2018, 06:59:42 PM

Probably doesn't interest most of you, but I'm been in an Ediacaran mood lately and it's great to have something vaigely recognizable from that period.

Thanks for posting this.  It's a really exciting find I think.  I'll be reading the paper on the tube to work this morning.

Joe the Spinosaurus

I haven't even heard of this! I think people should be celebrating this find more.

Neosodon

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.