News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

megalodon molar discovered in santa cruz mountains

Started by sauroid, December 27, 2014, 10:59:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SBell

It was probably just a tsunami that nobody noticed that somehow only picked up this one tooth--or at least, that's the only one he found.

stargatedalek

I thought that mountain range was fairly recent? if so, I think that's the most likely scenario.

SBell

I decided to go and actually find out rather than make further fun of mountain sharks.

http://www.cityofpaloalto.org/civicax/filebank/documents/10195

It turns out the area was in a shoreline transgression for sometime in the Miocene, with continued uplifts (I am super-briefly summarizing) so it makes more sense. Apparently marine fossils are common in the foothills as it is, so a shark tooth isn't really a surprise.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.